Been out of drving for 4yrs. And want back in, best options to do so?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ChrisRobertson, Jul 29, 2016.

1. ChrisRobertson

ChrisRobertson Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2016
    I currently hold a clean class A, never a ticket nor accident. Been out of driving for 4 yrs or so and want back in, whats my best optiins to do so. I have close to 6 yrs. Of otr dry van, end dumps, and flat bed. Just looking for best options.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You can go back 7 years on filling out a application. You might as well write whole time on the road which will put you back 13 years from today. That is ok.

End dump is wonderful, flatbed really good but dry van? Eh not so much. I tend to get kind of sloppy with dry van, it's a box... see? Think about tankers too. Good luck!

If I had to fill a app out, Im off since 2001 over the road so I will have nothing for the recruiter. Half the 40 or so companies going back 31 years from 2009 that I last worked with truckers as a foreman and trucks do not exist anymore. Im blacklisted from two segments of the industry such as steel flatbedding, possibly illegally. Im looking into that. But the limitations etc will be all done so.. shrugs.

What I wrote in the first two sentances is solid for you. Don't worry about me. Good luck!

ChrisRobertson Thanks this.
  4. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Have you kept your med card up to date and reported to the dmv? If not your license is no longer a cdl and you would have to go back to school for a refresher

5. ChrisRobertson

Jul 29, 2016
    I appreciate your reply. I was reading on some job post about having recent experience in driving otr, if no recent then no job avalibility. So really just wondering if companies would still consider a driver with no recent experience without retraining.

6. ChrisRobertson

Jul 29, 2016
    Medical card has not been updated but here in illinois they put a restriction on cdl until a recent medical card is issued. I just renewed my license and asked them if I still hold my cdl and they answered yes, but only for in Illinois and no otr. As soon as I renew my medical they said my restriction can be lifted.

7. ChrisRobertson

Jul 29, 2016
    Would this still cover as you answered about reschooling to refresh?

8. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Schneider for 6 months then anyone you want with in reason. Schneider allows any experienced driver to return to the road when last turned mile was with in 10 years. No trainer required.

ChrisRobertson and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    That's good, if u just need to get a medcard to reinstated your cdl, then do it, u might have to do it out of your pocket then. If you leave near chicago, u can try schneider intermodal for a few months. Go regional then local, or go out otr

10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    If all depends on the company.Most want recent otr exp or like 12 months exp within it that two yrs and you pass that time frame so I would be looking for smaller companies with like twenty trks or less.They may be more lenient.

11. desperado75

desperado75 Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2012
    allentown,pa
    now a days a lot of companies offer a refreshers course that wont cost anything but time I had to do it last year went to kllm did the course went out with a trainer only cost me a year of employment still here as a company driver on a dedicated account...

ChrisRobertson Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.