Being an O/O under a Carrier's Authority

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Misesian, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Heading back to NJ. I am looking to maximize my time this month. A week of downtime and spending 3000.00 in maintenance made for a poor month. Even with all that expense I still made 975.00 after all expenses.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Since the service things have been good. It did its first regen yesterday while driving; first one in two weeks. It was doing it every 2-3 days before. Hasn't used a drop of oil in 5000 miles and no longer using coolant. Not sure why the coolant issue stopped; I was adding 1/2 gallon every 10 days before. Only issue left is the passenger steer tire. The driver side is just fine but the passenger is wearing the outside shoulder. It is at 9/32 while the rest of it is at 15/32. The Centramatics have helped a lot. I don't notice the nice shine on it after a day of driving and wearing. The truck does pull right slightly but not all the time.

The Jersey loads I have been getting are really light and I lucked out with a light backhaul too. Start the month right with 1.40 a mile all miles and 9.9 MPG overall.

4. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I like these guys and all but their reliance on brokers created problems. Been empty since yesterday morning and they can't find a load. Usually what loads they do get are dirt cheap. I have told the ops manager several times that stuff like that makes me seriously reconsider a future with them. I'm making money and all but it is very hit and miss and they don't express a willingness to obtain customers anywhere other than Arkansas. I expect more from a company that has been around for 20+ years and has 105 trucks running OTR.

5. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Of those 105 trucks, how many are owned by the company?

6. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    105 company trucks and and I believe they 10 or 11 owner op/ lease guys. They don't own any trucks but lease all of them from the dealer.

Just got the reload and it pays me .74 cpm, 1.027 per mile to the carrier, to take 42 - 45k pounds to Birmingham. Really sucks. That will bring my RPM down to 1.34 all miles for the month. I'm still above 1.30 so I am doing alright but getting hit with these cheap broker loads really takes the wind out of my sails. These loads I am doing up here are really light and pay me 1.98 a mile. If I were doing regular freight up here and doing something that cheap out it would make for a really poor trip.

7. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    You actually accepted a load paying you .74 cents a mile to the truck?, and even more so your carrier booked it for 1.02 per mile?? Have you asked them if you could book your own back haul using their numbers? Since you're on dedicated I'm sure you could build a relationship with some brokers or shippers up there.

8. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I would enjoy access to their board to do that but I highly doubt that will happen. If it were me I would run a shorter haul to a slightly better area and then work back to the AR, MO, OK area. They'll broker me again out of AL to AR.

I had a lead on one that would pay me 1.05 to MI and out of MI pay me 1.15 back to AR a few miles from the terminal but I couldn't get everyone to touch base in time to grab it. I think my company didn't appreciate me doing that. He told me he would get me a load and they don't want me bouncing around even though it would pay quite a bit more. Makes no sense if you ask me.

9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Sounds to me like the boss is content making what he does and has no desire to put in the work to make more. I can respect that, i feel the same way with what i do. But it's not very good for his oo's. You've basically hit your ceiling at this company and what you see is what you will always get.

1.30ish average is all this company has to give you. Time to figure or if you are content with that or if you want more. If it's the latter then start looking and researching other outfits.

Edit to add: 1.98 ttt IS regular freight to jersey. It's nothing spectacular just the typical rates going that way. You give the impression that you think it's a really solid rate but the truth is is not. That's just standard, can get it all day every day.

Grijon and TaylorMade407 Thank this.
  10. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    I think you said you're pulling a Van. If so I honestly feel like you'd do better at Landstar. If you don't mind Flatbed work then Landstar or Mercer would be a good choice. Those would really enhance your business as long as you could weather the storm of self dispatch and don't mind chasing the money train. When you mention runs paying well below 1.50 I could only cringe for you. You could probably avg 1.50 all miles being a greenhorn at Landstar and cope that with your fuel savings and you'd most definitely do better.

11. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    That 1.98 is my pay; actual rate is 2.75. I definitely want more but I am waiting to build up my experience and would consider other opportunities. In September I have 2 years experience and will open lots of doors.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.