bennett driveaway?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by grayghost, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Dan65

Dan65 Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I am glad to provide any information I can. I haven't reviewed the whole thread, but I will point out that I see, as usual, all the negatives about how you can't make any money in driveaway. My response is that it has to be done smartly. You must plan ahead with your loads, and not spend all your income on the road.

The work is out there. You can make a very nice gross income. How much you bring home is up to you. If you require a $79.00 motel room every night, and $25.00 worth of food, then you won't bring home much money.

Another important thing is to drive for more than one company, which you are free to do as a contractor. I'm on the road as much as I want to be, and usually gross between $200 and $300 per day after fuel costs. I live very cheaply on the road, and have fun doing it.

I know there will be at least one "expert" who will say I'm full of bull, etc., but I suspect that these experts have never done driveaway, and many of them have yet to drive a truck.

This comment is not aimed at anyone in particular.......but it is my opinion that if someone has posted 10,000 messages on a board, they have had little time to be out driving trucks.

I'm not on this or any other board regularly, but If I can help you or anyone else I will be glad to share what I know.

Dan

grrump Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    If referring to me, since I have over 10,000 posts, I do not say you cannot make money at this.

I also have posted on here for many years.

4. Dan65

Dan65 Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Nope Roadmedic, wasn't referring to you. What I've seen of your posts look helpful and informative. Didn't mean to paint with a broad brush, but there are many responses to various things that steer people wrong because it is obvious the writer has no real knowledge of what he is talking about.

5. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007

Going back to a big truck is not attractive to me.

6. HiTowerTransport

HiTowerTransport Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Anyhow, getting away from the ####### fingerpointing, which seems to be the BIGGEST problem on any blogger site, no matter the name/!... Anyhoo, thanks for the info, or Roadmedic, Rick, etc. Dan, I shot you a friend request, you seem to be talking smartly about this gig, as well, you sound like me 'frugal' on the road, although I'm going to have to get a tow-veh. I drive Greyhound 4yrs, loved the job, did NOT envy the pax. Tight, smelly, cramped, on bus co. time to not get paid...YUCK! Also thought about doing driveouts for private RV ppl or college kids, corp. ppl needing "yeah, we're moving from LA to Philly and my wife dsnt wanna drive her car..." stuff, to get me back East/North, lest I can secure backhauls. I hear Quality is good for that? I live near Columbus, so...

Thanks again, evbody!

7. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Quality has a large supply of various equipment that they move. UPS trucks for instance, you cannot hook a tow vehicle to them. They have semi trucks and buses to move as well.

8. automn1

automn1 Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2011
    automn1@gmail.com
    There must be thousands of drivers that do driveaway, yet since I have been viewing this site I see very little positive said about anything. I think if your are thinking about driving for any company find a driver that has been with them a long time.

9. Bigarmin88

Bigarmin88 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Tampa Bay Fl
    That's because there not much money in it,yea you'll get a cheerleader or two that come on here saying how good it is but from what I have exp.it an't worth it.I think its good for people who are retired or people who can live with only making $400-$500 a week.I try it and after fuel cost and motel fees there not left on the meat.I can't personally sleep in a car,I need a hotel room for the night but I stay at cheap hotels anyway.Also if you don't have a back haul,you gotta speed $$$ to get back home.I did it for 3 months few years ago and I didn't make anything good.

10. TomSlick

TomSlick Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2011
    I talked with a recruiter yesterday from Bennington or whatever the name is,he said could/should clear 1000 a week after expenses,i thought that was great but after reading other comments i guess not :biggrin_2554:so will keep looking at big trucks,have interview fri with Dot Foods.

11. Bigarmin88

Bigarmin88 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Tampa Bay Fl
    That's there sales pitch,IT'S NOT TRUE!There no money in it like I said,its a good gig for a retired person or someone who just looking for an extra income,but as a career or something to pay bills and support the family,it's not for you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.