Best Company For A Trainer?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Canned Spam, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think is the best company to work for as a trainer? With $$ being the main focus but with company culture, safety, and employee benefits also in mind. Nice to know what's out there, I guess

Ryan423 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. David_Simpson

David_Simpson Medium Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    i thought i heard Schnieder, Rohel, JB Hunt, to name at least 3 of the better ones

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  4. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I did 1 week per student with schneider, made pretty good money.

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  5. Angry Dick

Angry Dick Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2016
    Swift pays you you're mileage and bonus rate for every mile your student is behind the wheel after the first 50hrs

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  6. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Con-way truckload now XPO...7500 miles with the student, 750 bucks to the trainer, trainer is on duty while the student is driving...in other words, no teaming.

if the student was driving while I was trying to sleep I would have never even done it.

the only reason I quit doing it is because I'm getting cranky in my old age and I prefer my space to myself

Canned Spam and Highway Sailor Thank this.
  7. Soltaker

Soltaker Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Deer Park, WI
    Our trainers are with new hires for 5 weeks. Sometimes 4 if the rookie does exceptionally well, and the trainer recommends to the fleet manager that the rookie is good to go.

As for pay, you get 7cpm for every mile you have a trainee with you, regardless of who is driving. This is above whatever your base pay is.

Then for the next year, you get 1/2cpm for every mile your trainee covers. It doesn't sound like much, but if you train 6 or 7 students throughout the year, it adds up.

As for benefits, I don't know a whole lot. I'm covered under my wife's policy. But when I carried insurance for the family, my wife was told several times at the clinic that they don't often see coverage like ours.

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  8. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Clearly Swift. You don't even need qualifications.

9. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Honestly trainers at Swift can make some good money.
    If your rate is 40 cpm, you get paid 40 cpm for your miles & your student's miles.

So I guess that'd be like teaming for 80 cpm split, downside being your teammate is an idiot and you have to train him.

Canned Spam and Western flyer Thank this.
  10. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    I don't believe there's a best company as far as trainers because they are all suffering from "Corporate Push." It's simply a matter of talking with training departments and asking questions. Think about what questions to ask and write them down.
    Driver trainers come in all different shapes and sizes. Young inexperienced drivers have bought into the lie that after 1 or 2 weeks the student will be ready to run as a team while they the trainer gets rich. Students are not qualified drivers they are students who are there to learn. Trainers with lots of experience are out there but not all make good trainers.

When it comes to getting hooked up with a good trainer it's going to be hit or miss and I doubt any company is going to promise you will get a trainer of your liking. They will tell you that they are all qualified trainers but that is a rational term at best. There was a time when trainers had many years of experience. Then it was 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and even as low as 3 months which is the blind leading the blind. Don't plan on making a fortune starting out. Companies pay for experience and sometimes that don't mean anything. Get 2 yrs experience and do it OTR 48 so you get experience in all conditions. Then the more experience you get, the more you will be worth. I average between $80 and $90 K annually but I haul cars and have been driving since 1980.

Good luck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.