Best place to find flatbed loads?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by chris_karr, Jan 31, 2016.

1. chris_karr

chris_karr Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I currently run a 28 + 5 gooseneck with a gvwr of 25,600 and a weight weight of 7500# empty, but that isn't relevant. I am looking at a trailer that's 30 flat + 5 dove tail that weighs 9800# with a gvwr of 30,000#. so i'll have roughly 20,000 lbs to spare.

With that said, what is the best place to find loads? I have a few contacts that keep me slightly green, but I could run a lot more.... Any positive feedback would be great..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    [​IMG]

Oh yes,.. and www.google.com

Thats where we all started. Good luck with your ventures.

Hurst

4. chris_karr

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Lol, I know where to look. Maybe I should be a little bit more precise. Where is a reputable place to find loads?

5. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    Are you asking which load board to use or for guys to give up their contacts to you?

dclerici1 Thanks this.
  6. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Man that book looks old, even the pages have turned yellow.

You could have made a smart ### comment about finding all your loads on the ground or something to that effect.

Me, personally, being a company driver at the moment I keep a notebook of everyone that I move stuff for. May come in handy later, maybe not but I am compiling a pretty big list because of it.

Diesel Dave and Hurst Thank this.
  7. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

I keep a list of phone numbers and names for every broker, shipper and receiver I've worked with since I leased on with the carrier I am with now. Besides a few Chicagoland shipers,.. everything they do is loadboard loads,.. so its not like I am stealing any clients when I move on from here. I look at it as building a database for prospecting loads and survival.

It helped me this weekend. Carrier booked a brokered load out of Amarillo down to Roma, Tx. I really wanted to get out of Tex but the load actually paid good enough to dead head if I had to so I took it. Roma is a cruddy little border town SE of Laredo. And we all know how lovely Laredo rates are. They make Miami look good.

Carrier scores a respectable paying load out of Laredo. Tarp load of fencing. 2 drops. 1 in Cortez Co and the other in Peyton Co. Cortez is over near the Utah boarder,.. Peyton is just south of Denver. One look at the weather and I canceled the load. Dispatcher is freaking out. WTF she tells me!?! Sorry,.. but I dont do mountains when blizzards are rolling through. No amount of money is worth the risk to me.

So she's struggling to find something. I call on a few brokers who owe me. Only one has a load coming out. Seadoo's going up to St Paul for $1900. I said I need a favor,.. not looking to do one. I hung up. Who rides SeaDoo's in St Paul in January? Dispatch found a load going to Jersey for $3000. I told her to wait a min and called a shipper in Hebbronville that I knew might have something. Sure enough, they were looking for a hotshot truck to take a single pallet (2k lbs) up to Trinity. Asked where I was and if I could do it. I played Coy and said not sure,. I'm near Laredo and your a bit of a hike from here. I'm waiting on a call from another company to see if they will meet my rate quote. She said I'll pay you $1500 if you can drive straight through and deliver it tonight. With dead head,.. it was only 430 miles. Um,.. yeah, I'll be right there. Called my dispatcher so she could do the confirmation/insurance and viola,.. here I am in Trinity, Tex.

So moral is,.. phone calls,.. phone calls,. and more phone calls. Eventually you will find something. I delivered Friday night,.. been sitting here at a mom n pop truck stop kicking back for the weekend. Weather is beautiful. I'm actually considering throwing my AC in the window,.. but steady breeze is nice,. so arguing with myself as to which I like better right now. LOL

The fun begins again tomorrow morning. Trinity is kinda in the middle between Austin, Houston and Dallas. Middle of no where,.. but not the end of the world. I just cant seem to get out of Texas. LOL

Hurst

8. chris_karr

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I would never never never ask someone to give contacts up, I know I certainly wouldn't give the very few I have.

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  9. chris_karr

Sep 6, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    That was a good lesson, so Just face my fears and make those calls! LOL I used to be a ruthless telemarketer, but I had to quit because I developed a fear of the phone which I suppose would happen when you cold call locally and they come up into your jobs place threatening to shoot everyone... Lol

Anywho, I figured I should explain why that fear developed...

10. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Out of curiosity what are you pulling that 30k gross trailer with?

I have a 2016 diesel dually but am scared to pull more than around 20k with it (trailer and load). My truck has a flatbed with tools and such and weighs 10k empty. Going over 30k gross combined weight in a pickup freaks me out. That is why I bought my Pete. The dually has plenty of power but the stopping is what worries me.

11. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I used to drive a 5500 dodge grossing 43k at times. Got pulled over once because the DOT officer thought I would be overweight.... Fooled him, I was 20-80 pounds under on each axle.... LOL It was a 44' PJ trailer with 24k limit tandems on the trailer. 43k was the max I could go with that setup and I could easily pull 20k in cargo. But, you are correct about the stopping of that kind of weight. I was actually about a foot longer bumper to bumper than a Cascadia pulling a 53' trailer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.