Best Tanker Co in SoCal?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by JayRod, Jul 23, 2016.

1. JayRod

JayRod Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    Been driving for about a year and a half now with Gardner Trucking. I'm done killing my experience time with them and am so ready to go fuels. I just recently applied and interviewed with Pacific Tank Lines but after reading so many bad reviews I'm starting to have my doubts about them.

Cox already told me no (but won't explain why). Applied at KAG, Superior and Williams but no response from them.

Is PTL really that bad? I'm not sure how I like their new Activity Based Pay system. Anyone have anymore suggestion for a tanker newbie like me?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle
    I used to live in Vegas and I talked to pacific before I moved north. There was a lot of if this then that, if that then this, and if not that then this other thing. And by the end of it all your earnings should equal x. Bottom line, that pay structure benefits the company not the employee. It took the guy three paragraphs to try and explain their pay. With my current position it took one sentence.

I'm not saying they're a bad company, I did talk to a couple of older drivers that were getting paid hourly, they seemed happy. New guys on the "performance" pay always said they weren't making enough, or they had to babysit their paycheck and go back and see why they didn't get paid for something. I believe the end I decided to pass.

JayRod Thanks this.
  4. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
  5. Air Cooled

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    I know of a good outfit I worked for and they have a yard in Bakersfield. A few former Williams drivers worked with me there

6. Air Cooled

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    You could try FDS (fuel delivery services), Thompson and Harvey have a big yard in Santa Maria and I believe more trucks parked down South, Arco (good luck! The last major in the area), SC fuels...

7. MM71

MM71 Heavy Load Member

Jun 28, 2008
    AZ
    Air Liquide

JayRod Thanks this.
  8. JayRod

JayRod Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    DTLA area. I live in East Los.

9. Air Cooled

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Oh 10-4. Try these if you wanna haul fuel. You could also try an outfit dealing with asphalt oil. I've done fuel and oil the last 5 years. Now I'm doing bulk tanker work. I love bulk-pays good and is less dangerous

JayRod Thanks this.
  10. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Call Andrews Logistics and see what they have. They are on South Broadway and primarily haul lubricants out of Phillips 66. I work for them out of Dallas. Excellent pay and superior benefits. Can't comment on the actual terminal as I've never been to that one but overall they are a great company. Very straight forward, pay for all work and you'll never do anything uncompensated. I'm sure they require Haz Mat but lubricants are non placarded loads. Occasionally you'll haul additives that might fall into the corrosive category. When I drove out of the Houston terminal it was mainly lubricants out of Shell which are generally delivered to wholesale oil distributors. Very easy work.

JayRod Thanks this.
  11. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    With only a year and a half experience and no tanker or fuel experience I would take what you can get. Pacific tank lines might be one of the low tier companies in so cal but it's a lot better than gardner... They do require a 2 year contract though so keep that in mind.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.