Best Truck GPS to Buy?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by uspl1, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Yes, lots of cams flooding the market. Wildly different guts inside of basically less than 10 "outer" shells though. We've done almost two years of "learning" in that area. A camera that would go on a 560 GPS is not actually a "dash cam" as it is more of a backing up kinda cam, or a blind-spot view cam. You may be referring to a windshield or dash cam that is recording and that is different than a GPS cam unless you are using the GPS as a monitor FOR a recorder. But I would prefer not to divert this GPS particular thread unless you are asking about a cam that connects to a GPS out of respect for the OP.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    You point out something I had been wondering. Connecting a camera to the 560 has some upside.
    In the manual for the 560 does not seem to have a lot of info about that.

I have seen a number of stand alone "backing" type camera systems. They all seem to have some sort of "brain box" for them to work. So will the 560 just take raw input? Could it also be a monitor for one that may also record.

On another note. In talking with some of the tech people at Garmin. I learned that you can delete a number of files from the unit with no problems caused. This has an upside in that it will free up internal memory. Some of the files they said were OK to delete are the voice and help files in the languages you will not use. Also the demo and tutorial files.

I did delete the voice and help files from the unit. It did open up a good bit of memory.

Have you tried this on any of your test units?

4. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

The bean bag mount works very well in a minivan, with its half acre of flat dash. Also, my mother uses one in her car. I don't care much for them, but they do eliminate having to clean those rings off the windshield.

5. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
  6. evd

evd Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Reading PA
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  7. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    The bean bag has its place for sure, probably works well in a number of vehicles.

Fortunately, it stays in the same spot, so it is not so bad when cleaning the windows.

I have seen windshields that are just covered with the little circles.

8. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Yes, the Garmin 560 and the Rand 720, and the Magellan 9270 and others can act just like any other video monitor. The key to the whole process is getting the connectors and the pins right. Since I didn't like any of the options that I searched for, I made them instead.

The GPS IS the "black box" in this case. It has a video processing circuit inside that can process a standard video signal. So technically with the right connectors you could make anything that has a video output show on the screen. A camera still needs power though because the GPS jack does not power it. So that would need a cigarette plug or direct wire to the 12v system. So yes, if you hooked the video out from a mobile DVR to the GPS, then it would act as a monitor for backing up the trailer, watching recorded road incidents, etc just like any other monitor that would come with the stand-alone system.

No, I have not deleted any files from the Garmin in an effort to free space, to answer your other question.

Camera demo vid below.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
  9. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    A good old fashioned laminated rand mcnally road atlas. It never screws up or gets you lost unless your sense of direction sucks.

10. mlambie

mlambie Bobtail Member

May 1, 2008
    Lake Orion, MI
    Problem with most GPS units is that they are geared for cars not trucks. Even though you may occasionally find a GPS that is marketed for the truck market, it usually just has a larger display and perhaps a few truck "points of Interest, i.e. truck stops, truck wash etc", they usually have no clue what roads are hazmat restricted, have load or axle restrictions, bridge heights or weights. If they do have bridge heights they are frequently inaccurate. So yes, you may love your Garmin or your Tom Tom, they both make good units, but do they really help a truck from losing 18 inches off the top of their trailer.

11. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Maybe a car unit, Today's truck units do take into account the restrictions that a truck has to avoid based upon your settings.

Any restriction is only as good as someone getting it to the folks that make the mapsets or in Rand's case our own DB for restrictions.

Mark

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.