1. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    Any advice on what is the best GPS on the market for drivers? Looking for one that has information prevelant to the industry. A medium size screen to large, but not the most important aspect.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I like the Rand McNally... Has a couple minor draw backs but very minor. The only thing I wish is that I would have bought the bigger version instead of the 5"

MrsWJAA and Straight Stacks Thank this.
  4. Junkyarddog5958

Junkyarddog5958 Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2015
    I love Rand McNally units. Biggest thing is the updates for maps are large enough now make sure you put at least 8 gb memory card in gps unit or don't allow for newest maps update.

5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    IPad mini 4g with copilot truck app

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Samsung note 2 phone with copilot app. Cheapest Truck gps around. One time license for life. Install on any android device. (not sure about apple to androide or reverse). Free updates. Routes effeiciently. Requires no forum support. No electrical components to fail. Can be used on any anrdoid phone you're no longer using. WITHOUT phone service. Or tablet. Does most of the stuff the more expensive units do. And for everything else. There's an app. FOR FREE.

You can also use your android powered copilot device ( or apple) as a music or movie player, dash cam, camera, internet device connected via wifi. Alarm clock. Bluetooth should you desire voice navigation through the stereo.

ALL for 1/3 the cost of a more expensive hand unit.

rabbiporkchop and double yellow Thank this.
  7. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck "Captain of the Ship"

Apr 7, 2007
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    I have the Garmin 760 Dezl and think it's pretty darned good. Free lifetime map updates, can plug into a dash cam, bluetooth capability. It was replaced by the 770 last year.

8. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    Another vote for Co-Pilot app on an android tablet. If you don't have a tablet already, they can be purchased used from e-bay or cowboom, if you want to save a little money. If screen size is a concern, you can get a 7" tablet or you can go big and get a 10" tablet.

For example, from Cowboom, you can get a refurbished 8" Dell Venue with 16 GB for $89.99 or a used 7" Toshiba Excite with 8 GB for $39.99, then get the Co-Pilot for Truck app for $149.00. I'm a little surprised the Co-Pilot for Truck app is not currently on sale for $99.00. That's what I paid for mine right at this time of year last year.

For anything else, snowwy is spot-on with his advice.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The tablet has to have a gps chip, and those aren't as cheap.

Double check for a gps chip. I made the mistake of buying one becuase it was loaded with google maps. Kind of worthless being loaded if it's not built for navigation.

10. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    I have thought about coming up with a list of tablets with verified built-in GPS chips. Off the top of my head, the following do:

** Samsung Tab 2 and up (not sure about the original Tab) (used Tab 3 can be had for less than $60 on CB)
    ** Motorola Xoom (less than $70 on CB)
    ** BlackBerry Playbook (CoPilot is not supported on Blackberries, but I understand you can get Android working on the new BB phones like Z10 and Z30 so it might be possible to get Android on the Playbook and then CoPilot but research it before you buy)

11. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I have the CoPilot App on iOS... They ran their sale a few months early this year... I think I bought it in Aug/Sept.

It does a decent job routing, although I have been routed into a 13'2" bridge in St. Louis and onto a bridge that was not open to heavy trucks.

The "user facing" options are lacking in the area of POIs so searching for such "two hours out" for fuel or parking is very awkward and virtually useless. And the speed limit information is lacking much too.

I use Truckers Path Pro, which will soon have Truck Routing, as their POIs search is awesome.

But I tire of jumping back and forth between apps. Thinking of testing the Rand McNally options as one of my trainers had one and seemed to be a more complete package.

But if you want to save money, and don't mind jumping around, the CoPilot and Truckers Path Pro covers most of the basics.

Just my two cents worth.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.