Best way to adjust to opening hatches on bulk trailer?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Dark_Majesty_06, May 26, 2016.

1. Dark_Majesty_06

Dark_Majesty_06 Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Poplar bluff, mo
    I'm not thrilled with being on top of a trailer in ice and wind but when it happens.. I would like to be prepared. I'm going into the bulk business and want to be knowledgeable for when I meet the guy who teaches me how the load and unload. I don't want to look like a dummy up there, scratching my head and being unsafe.
    I know some places offer a rack and fall protection but I'm fat and it's probably one size fits most skinny people for the fall protection. So what's the safest and easiest way to handle opening all 4 hatches. Should I start up at the truck or towards the tail end? Do I crawl since there isn't anything to hold onto or walk like I'm on a tight rope?
    I appreciate any input. I'm sweating this part of the job more than anything.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    You will hardly never open all four hatches to load all my loads are loaded in #3 sometimes 2 &3. You got to have (own one) a harness almost all companies require you have one on or your not allowed to come on the property. The harness goes around groin and are like a belt it will fit you. If you are very over weight and climbing is hard for you I would suggest another job you will have to climb a lot. Also about fifty percent of the companies do all the loading but you still have to check the hatches to make sure they are tight. Now at tank washes are the most dangerous none have fall protection you will have to open everything up and close everything to blow out this is where all the work is. all ladders are on the rear of the trailer you walk to the front opening the front hatch first working your way to the back then down the ladder. once loaded start in the rear closing the hatches going forward never step over a hatch . Just use your head on windy days park next to building or wait to get inside the tank wash to open the hatches. I have crawled but it kills your knees but not often. be safe

LoneCowboy and Dark_Majesty_06 Thank this.
  4. Dark_Majesty_06

Jun 15, 2009
    Poplar bluff, mo
    Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm over weight but not to the point of being immobile. I'm starting the job to become more active and get out of the truck. Thanks for the tips. I actually had no idea you had to use tank washes. I just figured you were good to load after being Mt. The company I'm going to, hauls mostly sand and other non-food related bulk materials.

5. s0231198

s0231198 Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Since it sounds like you will be hauling dry bulk in pneumatic tanks, it's not as bad as it sounds. I pull a pneumatic tank, and everywhere that I go to has a hatch opener station. They are located before and after the silos that we load in, since we only open one lid to get loaded. The cage is somewhere between 5-6 wide square that you are able to hold onto while on top of your trailer. There are a lot of overweight drivers at the places that I load at, so don't let it scare you away. Just remember in the winter to take your time. There is usually a pipe that runs along both sides of the top of a pneumatic tank, that I usually put atleast one foot against in the winter, so not standing on top of tank with both feet so there is less of a chance of slipping.

6. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Yak Traks
    Google those, they might come in handy for you.

Dark_Majesty_06 Thanks this.
  7. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    They work,

I wore out a set of the coils, my new set are made of dog chain. YAKTRAC works!

8. Dark_Majesty_06

Jun 15, 2009
    Poplar bluff, mo
    I appreciate the kind words y'all. I know lotsa folks hate us fat people nowadays.. so I make sure to say I'm fat before hand. The company I'm hiring onto felt comfortable hiring me.. I made sure to ask if they were okay with my weight or if they figured I would have a hard time working.
    Those yak tracks look amazing and I'm ordering a pair now to put in my new truck when I get over.
    I know this is completely off topic but any suggestions and advice on how to keep my hoses from plugging up? That's the one thing that worries me more than being on top of a tanker.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    In bulk tanker the first commandment is drain thy air.

If you do not double check that drain is open, you will be flung a long distance to your death or vegetative state once you pull enough of the lugs on the hatch.

Dark_Majesty_06 Thanks this.
  10. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    You said this company hauls sand, so am I safe to assume it's frac sand? If so, I can tell ya, it's not hard to learn. I've been doing it for years.

I remember worrying about plugging up when I first started as well, but it's not a big deal. As you learn to operate your trailer, you'll plug up every now and then. Just idle your pump, unhook the hose from the box, remove rubber gasket (unless you want to chase it all over location), and then blow it out. Hook back up and resume unloading, but this time don't open your product valve as far, as that's what caused it to plug up in the first place.

After you get used to unloading, and figure out what your setup will and won't do, you'll rarely plug up.

As for climbing, most (but not all) places these days have one of those hatch opening things with a rail around it to keep you from falling. I personally never use them because they take longer than just running up the ladder and opening a couple of lids real quick, but some folks love 'em. They are safer, I suppose.

And x1Heavy is right. Make sure your vent is open and all pressure is out of the trailer before you ever climb up there. Although I can't think of any reason you'd need to open a hatch while the tank is pressured up anyway.

It's a fun job. I love it. Might wanna invest in some ear plugs though.....

11. Dark_Majesty_06

Jun 15, 2009
    Poplar bluff, mo
    Thanks @ShooterK2 . They haul Silica sand. I was told it's for sand blasting and the like. I'm not for sure what else they haul. They have a mine in guion Arkansas that they haul out to the Midwest.
    They also have some flatbeds to run Pallets of sand and run a large amount of propane in the winter. So I have plenty of choices and will get to switch up. Only real problem I have is the trucks.. they are so freaking small. First time I'll ever spend a week in a coffin sleeper truck.
    I do appreciate the information. I'm really looking forward to starting the new job. I'm nervous leaving my local job but know I'll be able to make a lot better money for my family.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.