Best Way to Pay Federal Tax?

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by AndrewH, Aug 21, 2015.

1. AndrewH

AndrewH Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Gulf Coast
    When I visit the IRS website and go to "pay with a debit card" it gives me a list of 3rd party websites that I can make payment through. Fine; But when I go to the websites I see no way to pay form 1099...

Am I missing something?

How do you guys usually pay in your yearly tax?

Thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    First, Form 1099 is not a tax form you pay with, it is the declaration of how much you have been paid by whatever companies you are doing business with. You use this information in conjunction with all your other income and expense records to generate your yearly tax return and determine how much you owe in taxes. To pay your Federal income taxes you need to file a tax return (form 1040) which is do by April 15th of each year, just like you would do if you were an employee. There is a payment coupon that you send in along with a check for the tax due, then each quarter after that you would file quarterly estimated tax payments using form 1040-ES, which is usually 25% of the actual tax liability you had the previous year. You should really get some competent tax help from a good cpa that specializes in trucking as our tax liability is somewhat different than most other businesses. Here is a link to the IRS website explaining self employment taxes, it is a good start.
    http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Self-Employed

4. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    IRS.GOV
    top bar go to Payments
    IRS Direct Pay
    Make a Payment
    Select 1040ES
    It will self populate Estimated Taxes/2015
    Tax year for Verification - just select a year, they will use the info you put in and verify against an earlier tax year.

Fill out the information and be sure to keep a screen shot of what you paid. The IRS does not send anything out at the end of the year to let you know what you paid in estimated taxes. You will need this information for your tax forms next year.

<<>>
    You can chose to pay by Credit Card, but those are 3rd party sites and fees may apply whereas if you use a checking account/debit card under IRS Direct Pay there is no fee.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  5. AndrewH

AndrewH Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Gulf Coast
    Thanks, I just got confused for a sec about the 1040 cause that's what non-self employed folks use, kinda threw me for a loop. I got a decent CPA (Prime incs people) I've been using them since I've left there 3 years ago. It just slipped my mine how I paid last year. My cpa's got behind this year and filled extensions and all that good stuff. THANKS, for this refresher! Good luck, safe travels and much thanks y'all two

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    If your CPA fell behind and files an extension, get another one. There is no excuse for this and can cause you problems in the future.

AndrewH Thanks this.
  7. BeanDip

BeanDip Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    S.W Michigan
    No, Form 1040 is what people use to file taxes, regardless of whether or not they were self employed.
    • Form 1044 is what people use to file taxes, regardless if they are self employed or not.
    • A 1099 is the form that the company you did work for gives you at the end of the year to let you know what amount they are claiming they paid you.
    • A W2 is the form that employers give to employees to let them know how much they were paid, and what amounts were withheld for taxes, Social Security, Retirement plans, etc.
    You should always make sure your income numbers match up with the 1099 that is given to you. I once had a piece of crap claim that he'd paid me nearly $3000.00 more on his 1099 then he actually did.

If you are trying to pay your quarterly estimated taxes, @Mark Kling has you covered in his post.

I just wanted to help clear up what forms you are using. The alphabet soup of forms can be confusing.

Straight Stacks Thanks this.
  8. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    You'd think with us living in the 21st century the IRS would of kept up with the times by giving tax payers an easy option of completing tax returns online and also an easy online payment system. Just more government bureaucracy huh! Gitda-done

9. Not_Here_Long

Not_Here_Long Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    If you want online payments enroll at eftps.gov takes a couple weeks fro them to send you a
    pin number but it cost nothing extra like the rest do.
    You file online for free depending on income and if you are sole proprietor or not.
    Why anyone would LLC or INC a one man operation is beyond reason you loose to many pre tax deductions. No need to pay estimated taxes either if you have the ability to pay by April 15th.
    I won't make the fed govt an interest free loan

Starboyjim Thanks this.
  10. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    A single member LLC is treated exactly the same as a sole proprietor for tax purposes, so you do not loose any tax advantages. I have a LLC simply because one of my larger customers will not contract with any entity other than a LLC or corporation. And, yes, quarterlies are required if you expect to have tax due, otherwise you are subject to a penalty for failure to report and pay estimated taxes, any CPA that tells you otherwise has no clue what they are doing or is actively committing tax fraud. I learned all about this in 2004 when I had to pay the penalty after an audit.

icsheeple and double yellow Thank this.
  11. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Just pay 1/4 of what you were taxed last year every quarter and you won't face any penalties.

icsheeple Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.