Beverage to LTL

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by mud23609, May 18, 2015.

1. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    I am a relatively new driver, got my B last September working for a roll off company which ended up suffering a fire so I made a move to a beverage distributor and upgraded my license to a class A this spring. I am finding that I just don't like the company and now two months in I am looking at the possibility of trying to make a move once again. I end up with far to many days getting helpers pay (six bucks less an hour on average) and I hate merchandising (though the two wheeler work don't bother me much).

With my limited experience will I have much of a chance of being able to make a move to one of the local LTL carriers? Most want more experience than I have, how willing are they to bend on those requirements for a new hire?

Also for those that have went from beverage to LTL, are you happy with your decision?

Shaggy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Where are you? Why did you get layed off? Give a little more info and people will be better able to help

Shaggy Thanks this.
  4. mud23609

Mar 9, 2015
    I'm not laid off at the moment. Currently working 50 plus hours a week. I was for a short while after the fire at my previous employer for the obvious reasons of losing the shop and half the trucks in the fire.

I am located in the Duluth mn area which has several options for ltl carriers and other local home daily work which is a must for me as I have livestock I need to feed every day.

5. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    Never quit one job until you have another lined up. You will like LTL. There is so much variety in freight, and the receiving people are happier than bar tenders and convenience store managers. You will be busier in November and December, leaving time during the summer for a vacation. There will be a lot more docks to back into. Practice your backing skills, and make many applications. You have nothing to lose and may save your back.

Mike2633, Shaggy and mud23609 Thank this.
  6. mud23609

Mar 9, 2015
    I don't plan on giving my notice until I've been given a starting date with any new company I might go with. My routes at the moment very based on the day, one day I might pull a 53 in town and bump 12 or more docks along with merchandising a Walmart or two, the next might be a side bay with 17-20 stops and 150 miles or so of driving, Saturday's I pull a pup and Wednesday I pick up bulk product with a 53 from st Paul, so at least the experience I am getting varys. If it wasn't for getting stuck merchandising some of the larger stores and the one or two days a week I get stuck making helper pay I might consider sticking it out. I just want to make sure I make a move that's going to make me happy. I don't like job hopping and stayed at the last job I had before trucking for nearly a decade before I had enough of factory work.

Mike2633 and heyns57 Thank this.
  7. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Apply man! I've said it before and I'll say it again. Spring is hiring season for ANY LTL company. If your going P&D city they take no experience. Lately LTL companies have been hurting for both positions and take CDL school graduates. Just have the endorsements Hazmat & doubles mainly. They don't care about job hopping. If they need bodies they need bodies. Freight is up and drivers aren't plentiful. As long as you got a clean record you'll land a job. Don't look at the online requirements just apply.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  8. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    OP: LTL has it's own challenges, Work a dock or bump several doors Etc etc.
    If you could do Food & Beverage delivery, Think you could do LTL just fine.

9. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Well I know all about the beer business, I would never go back to that. Ugh! I never worked LTL, but from the sounds of it you would be alright. Side loader to LTL would be a little tougher though, when I switched from side loader to more standard truck I had a pretty steep learning curve I almost had to learn how to back again it wasn't pretty or fun...Things are better now though. However you have a lot of bulk truck experience so you'll be okay.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  10. MadeinMX

MadeinMX Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Mexico
    I worked for coca cola for a few years before going to food service then eventually ltl. I will never regret doing it so. Receivers/customers have a different mentality when it comes to how they see/treat drivers in different trucking industries (beverage, ltl, truckload, food service, etc). Just pay attention on how they treat the UPS driver vs Pepsi driver. Good luck!

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  11. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    Ya dood, LTL is gonna pay you more, and its much easier

Check ABF / YRC /OD first...They pay the most, have pension etc etc

In a couple years buy a truck, lease it onto your company and double your money!!

Way to max out the CDL yo...smart smart

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.