Beware in KY, fight ticket or eat it?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Terrain, Nov 2, 2015.

1. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Not taking either side. But here is what I couldn't tell anyone when I wrote them a citation. The worst case is you come to court and have to pay the fine. The best case is you may have it thrown out by the judge. Why not take you chance and roll the dice with the worst case is what you are facing now?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowman1980

snowman1980 Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Boise Idaho
    I have exact feelings as you do on that matter.

TROOPER to TRUCKER Thanks this.
  4. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Don't bother. Officer of the law would never lie nor write a bad ticket.

truckon, mrdot and Straight Stacks Thank this.
  5. snowman1980

Feb 23, 2013
    Boise Idaho
    trooper what was the ballpark percentage of the citations that you issued that the individuals went to court vs just paying the fine?

6. TROOPER to TRUCKER

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Well it's a hard stat because I generally had a fine to pay prior to court for minimum pts etc. However if you came to court it would be the original. Say if you were doing 15 over that was $150.00 and 4pts. I would tell you and write on the courts copy may plea to $76.00 and 2pts which as low as we could write. So most just paid but I wrote around 150-200 tickets a month at least. I would only have 10 trials out of those roughly. But like I said I couldn't explain to people the logic in having a trial and the judge could still just fine them the lowest fine.

The weird thing was seatbelt tickets. They are just a flat $25.00 and no points. I had more people have their license suspended for not paying or showing on a $25 fine. If it was an equipment violation or fix it I would drop the ticket if they came to court that day with it fixed and receipts etc. I was fairly easy to get along with compared to a lot. I tried not to rake any over the coals unless I knew they deserved it.

truckon Thanks this.
  7. snowman1980

Feb 23, 2013
    Boise Idaho
    Wow getting your license suspended over a simple seatbelt ticket I just don't get it. Thanks for answering my question and you be safe out there.

8. TROOPER to TRUCKER

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Man if I knew driving a truck was this much fun I would have went that route first.

truckon, tsavory and Straight Stacks Thank this.
  9. Bluess

Bluess Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Upstate NY

Have to agree there ^^^ I have not been to court in almost 11years and most of my officers have not been in a long time. We may have 1 or two a month that they have to go to, but those are usually reduced. All of our fix it tickets can be fixed and signed off by a garage and the officer doesn't have to do anything. The other ones, 80% of the time, request a reduction from the issuing officer. 90% of those are reduced to a bald tire ticket and a fine paid with no points. There are a lot who send the tickets in and pay the big fine, but very few take it to trial.

I have seen on court days where the courtroom is packed and tons of people show up, but the DA at court usually reduces or dismisses 75% of those.

10. TROOPER to TRUCKER

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I worked with one Trooper with no personal skills and hated when both of our court days ran together. The court room would be packed.

truckon Thanks this.
  11. Bluess

Bluess Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Ours is jammed every Monday. We have a bunch of new officers and they really really like writing tickets. Try to tell them that sometimes the person you let go will be the one to help you out later and to cut some breaks, but court is just jammed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.