Beware of 1099 Companies

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by bat1961, May 31, 2016.

1. bat1961

bat1961 Bobtail Member

May 31, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    Been driving a truck for 15 years,have a great safety record and all,but im slightly overweight 6"ft 255LBS.
    So all the good companies want you to go to concentra for a physical.And at concentra says that under there guidelines i need too take a sleep apnea study.Not going to happen,so i turned down a job with Ryder.So i go to a small operator,which was ran by a husband and wife.Seemed like a really nice young couple.After a couple of weeks.i am asking when am i going to get paid,and i am told oh next week,we hold back 3weeks,due to being paid by the broker,.I finally get paid,so i decide to just give this job a little more time.And they keep delaying the money for the loads i completed.And i said this is enough and told them that after the load i was under that i was quitting.So when i go into turn in my Bols,and to collect money due,they start making all kind of deductions,400 for log violations,250 for truck detailing,and then they said that the GPS was misting and charged me 499.00.So i asked them if they had the serial number,because i was going to file a police report,and i did.but was told they had to do it,since it was there truck.and then they would not give me a print out of the list of deductions,but they showed me a employment contract that i failed to read when i filled out there application,so kept it,since they did not give me a copy.So for 4900 miles i was paid 597.00.here is there fraudulent contract.
    REVISED 2014 TOP NOTCH TRANSPORT DRIVERS CONTRACT
    This letter will serve as a contract between you, the contract driver, and Top Notch Transport. As a contracted driver for Top Notch Transport you will receive a 1099 form for the current year tax season for all earned income.
    This is in regards to late deliveries/ pickups, damage to the freight and equipment, driving out of route miles without prior authorization, load refusal for any reason that we have booked and agreed to transport for our customer and that has to be re- powered, and non-authorized repairs.
    We will be withholding 2 week paycheck that will be kept in an escrow account to help offset cost for damages to freight and equipment (that could have been prevented) out of route miles, late deliveries/ pickups, refusal to haul load(s).
    Please note that should you decide to leave your contracted driver position your equipment should be returned in the order which it was issued to you if not in better condition.
    Should you decide to abandon the equipment you will be charged for all recovery costs to recover the vehicle and cargo.
    Contract drivers will be billed and may receive disciplinary action or discharged for the contracted driver position for equipment and load
    Tools in each truck need to be kept in the way they were received or there will be a charge for new purchase at the time you leave $175.00
    A cleaning fee of $250.00 will be assessed upon discharge or resignation.
    Disciplinary and/ or dischargeable items include but not limited to:

Unauthorized out of rout miles: @ $1.00 a mile
    * Preventable damage to equipment: will vary on parts and labor cost (not doing pre trip inspections)

Late pickup/ deliveries: $25.00 per hr- unless previously arranged with no disputes from broker.
    * Load refusal: Contract driver will be assessed a min. of $500.00 in administrative fees to reroute another tractor to deliver your load.
    Minimum recover cost of $1,000.00 for abandoned tractor and/ or trailer.

All insurance deductibles, load claim or deductibles, and road service calls will be responsible by and billed to contracted driver if at fault due to driver cr equipment neglect and stupidity.
    All drivers are to fill out a 1099 and by signing this contract you give up all rights to workers compensation and unemployment.
    There will be a $250.00 deduction for all and any log book violations and $200.00 deduction for violations to equipment that was undocumented.
    * Top Notch Transport holds the right to revise, change and/ or add to disciplinary and dischargeable items.-

Road Killer, bigmotor1212 and sedain Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    As you stated "I failed to read" before I signed. Can't blame anyone but yourself.

4. bat1961

bat1961 Bobtail Member

May 31, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    I never encountered a company this vile.in 15 years never had a problem getting paid.

5. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    Only a fool would drive for a company under a 1099. Now I am not talking about an O/O. I am talking about driving a company truck and under the instructions of a company. The tax and legal aspects of driving under a 1099 are too high to be under.

6. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Thanks for reminding us shyster companies exist.

Obviously you ought to read any contract in this business. Way too many unscrupulous companies in this job. You had plenty of signs this was coming. I am not blaming you for them just pointing them out so others can learn.

Road Killer Thanks this.
  7. bat1961

bat1961 Bobtail Member

May 31, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ

8. bat1961

bat1961 Bobtail Member

May 31, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    I had never worked for a 1099 company before this one.That is why i wrote the heading Beware of 1099 Companies.from my unfortunate experience.They had 10 trucks and a few owner operators.so it was not a owner operator,and did a google search on them,and came up with nothing.And yeah im sure that when someone is handed a 15 page application that most people do not read every page,unless you where cheated like i was.So yeah they had every right to not pay me ,for failing to read the fraudulent contract Sorry for posting,

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    Mtn Gal and Road Killer Thank this.
  9. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    Live and learn. It'll say a lot more about you if you don't read the next application regardless of how many pages it has.

When you signed it, did they say "Do you have any questions? " Did you say "No"? I'm guessing that you did.

Road Killer Thanks this.
  10. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    1099 companies just seem to be modern day scam artists.

Making money on loads and then stealing money from drivers.

11. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    You have learned a good lesson
    ..... Next time remember that ANY contract or written policy WILL NEVER be in your favor EVER!
    .... Kudos for telling the medical clinic to keep their sleep study
    We need more drivers like you
    .... Don't be discouraged we have all been burnt on deals like this

Road Killer and Badmon Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.