Big dogs, probation, and a determination to become a successful trucker...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by whodathunkit, Aug 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whodathunkit

whodathunkit Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Howdy folks...

I am a 34 year old man who has spent my life thinking that a career in trucking would be the last thing I would consider. Things sure do change. Making a long story short has never been one of my strong points, but I'll give it a shot...

I used to have a lead foot, which equated to a mountain of speeding tickets. I have had one ticket since 2011, which was on a motorcycle in 2014, and I'm not even exactly sure what the final conviction was, other than I did plead guilty to a small amount of pot.

Later in 2014, years after I had gotten away with thinking I was above the law and given up that lifestyle, I went through a road block in Georgia while bringing four ounces of pot to a friend. I am still on felony probation for this, but no longer partake in that business, or even the occasional toke. The last time I smoked was the day after my last urine drug test, a few months back. I have since then decided to quit smoking altogether, only due to the fact that I want to be in complete control over my own destiny, and set a good example with my actions.

The hair on my head is too short for a hair follicle drug test, and have been led to believe that THC stays in body hair for much longer than a few months. I know for a fact that I would pass a urine drug test, but am not so sure that I would pass a hair follicle drug test.

So there's that... I am on felony probation for possession of cannabis with the intent to distribute, my past driving record is questionable, and I am uncertain of whether or not I would pass a hair follicle drug test.

On top of that, I spent eight years working for myself helping people convert their residential properties into small scale sustainable farms. I did the vast majority of this work "under the table". Yeah... I'm on a payment plan with the IRS. I have plenty of people who would be happy to vouch for the work that I did for them, but my official record keeping is next to non-existent. I'm good at staying organized, and have a great ability to pay attention to detail that I actually cannot turn off, but simply chose to "worry about it later".

Oh if I knew what I know now when I was younger...

When my pickup broke down, and I had no funds to fix it, being a one man operation, I was forced to look for new business opportunities. I spent six weeks working for the Winston Salem Fire Fighter's Association, but have recently resigned from that position. This was the first time I had punched a clock in eight years.

The last kicker... I have two dogs that are my family. One of them is 65 pounds, and the other is still a puppy, but she will likely end up being around the same size. Ideally, I would like to find myself in a truck with both of them, but I could deal with leaving one of them at a time with my fiance. Pancho, my 65 pound husky terrier mix, will absolutely positively have to be allowed to accompany me if this is going to work, as he is my brother from another mother.

Advice please... and thank you...

Oh yeah... I have no CDL, if that wasn't already clear. Also, I haven't the funds to pay outright for schooling.

Please help a determined, intelligent, passionate, clear headed dude break into this industry...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
  4. whodathunkit

Aug 28, 2016
    Yeah... I'm a mess... I know... I'm also a stubborn S.O.B. I will make this happen.

5. Rusty Trawler

Rusty Trawler Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2016
  6. Giuseppe Ventolucci

Giuseppe Ventolucci Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2015
  7. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Too bad the oil field jobs are scarce

8. whodathunkit

Aug 28, 2016
    Another thing, possibly worth mentioning...

I have never once in my life interviewed for a job that I did not get.

9. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    I see CRST in the near future. Or Carolina Cargo.

10. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Of that, I have no doubt. Best of luck to you, man.

whodathunkit Thanks this.
  11. Rusty Trawler

Rusty Trawler Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2016
    At least as far as we know you haven't killed anyone
    You haven't, have you?

crb Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.