Big Truck and Cheerleader Bus Crash

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by STexan, Dec 3, 2016.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Near Big Spring, TX, Friday night somewhere on I-20.

Two listed in critical condition. I haven't gotten much detail on this yet. Feel free to post updates. I hope this wasn't a truck making a u-turn. The few pics I've seen are difficult to interpret and news accounts are weak.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Looks like the rig might have come across the median, hard to tell from that video though.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    NavigatorWife, Big Don and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Looks like some new information has been added to the story.

According to the DPS report, an 18-wheeler was headed eastbound on I-20. Around 10:45 p.m., the driver swerved to miss a car that slammed on its brakes. The driver of the big rig lost control, crossed the median and into westbound traffic where it collided with the school bus at mile marker 173.

I sure hope the 4 wheeler that slammed on its brakes wasn't 'teaching the big truck a lesson'.

This is why you don't swerve.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That's it, mandatory skid pad training for all students. Im tired of people slamming brakes and forgetting to let up on the things to allow the wheels and tires to rotate for manuvering and evading.

QuietStorm and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Something tells me this story [the truck driver is telling] is not completely true. Maybe there was a road rage game being played by two parties and the truck driver lost. Who started the dumb game first is anybodies guess.

Just not buying some random sweet old lady stomped hard on the brakes in the middle go nowhere, for no apparent reason, and the truck driver "hero" "saved her life" by not hitting them, and hitting the ditch. But let's assume for a moment that story is all true, then it sounds like he wasn't managing his space well and/or was half asleep.

8. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    It is very possible that the driver of the car had a legitimate reason for coming to a sudden stop. Possibly because there was something in front of the car that needed to be avoided.

TROOPER to TRUCKER and skellr Thank this.
  9. chico9696

chico9696 Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2009
    USA
    UPDATE...
    http://www.ktre.com/story/33860226/...t-might-have-happened-before-school-bus-crash
    Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) officials said the Iraan-Sheffield ISD bus was struck after a semi-trailer tried to avoid colliding with a car that braked suddenly.

The report said the semi lost control and crossed the center median and entered the westbound lanes of IH-20, striking the bus.

The driver of the black Dodge Challenger who hit the brakes suddenly has contacted DPS directly. DPS officials tell us they are now working on piecing the puzzle of the investigation together.

Liz Pope, 52 was pronounced dead by Judge Robert Fitzgibbons at Scenic Mountain Medical Center.

Eric Finley with University Medical Center in Lubbock said they still have three patients from the accident under their care.

Christina Garlock, the sister of the sponsor who was killed, has been upgraded to serious condition.

The two other patients are in satisfactory condition.

"The community is heart broken and we are just coming together and grieving," said Margaret Holmes, school board president. "Both girls are a big part of the community and we're heartbroken."

Iraan-Sheffield ISD was heading back home from Colorado City after a football game. Holmes said 45 minutes before the crash the Braves were celebrating a victory against Munday.

NavigatorWife and Big Don Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.