Blind Shipment, not a broker, sketch?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by double yellow, Jul 26, 2015.

1. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    I see a load on DAT posted from Vancouver, WA going to Hermiston, OR. I call and negotiate a rate and wait for the carrier packet & rate confirmation.

• 1st red flag: the company doesn't send me a carrier packet (but they do ask for my insurance, w9, copy of my authority)
    • 2nd red flag: they have no credit score on DAT, no record on ITS, and they're not in the FMCSA system at all.
    • 3rd red flag: the billing address on their rate confirmation was an empty suite in a business park when Google streetview last toured in May 2015.
    • 4th red flag: their email address is gmail (though so is mine) and their 1-page website had its domain registered 7/15/15
    • 5th red flag: the shipment pick up address is a small warehouse down a narrow residential alley and is owned by a sufficiently generic-sounding "logistics" company that I can't find record of online.
    • 6th red flag: the rate confirmation says Blind Shipment, and lists instructions to check in at the consignee as a different carrier entirely (a 40-truck outfit based in Sacramento with a dubious safety record)

So I call to let them know I'm no longer interested (having never signed the rate confirmation) and he tries to convince me this is perfectly normal. I ask for his MC# and he says he doesn't have one -- he is a shipper. I ask why I'm not picking up from his facility but a logistics company 2 states away and he says this is how blind shipments are done. He offers to pay T-check in 15 days and I decline and say I'm just not comfortable with the setup.

Long story short, I've heard of blind shipments, but never done one -- Is there any way this sketchy sounding story was legitimate? If you're not listed as the carrier on the BOL, how can you ensure you get paid?! And don't you need a brokerage authority to set up a blind shipment like this?

"Shipper" posting the load: Lay Services of Sacramento, CA
    Warehouse shipping the load: MX Logistics, Vancouver, WA
    "Carrier" I was supposed to check in as: Vitex, INC of Sacramento, CA
    Consignee: Walmart D.C. of Hermiston, OR

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    That does sound sketchy. I have done some blind shipments in the past. Every time it has happened to me, the shipper (one I regularly load at) makes the bills up as if it is going to their regular buyer on the other end. The catch: the broker I do these loads for tells me to take it to a different delivery point. The buyer has sold it already and rather than unload it then haul it to the next shop they have me take it right there. I have always been paid and it is not that much out of the ordinary for me. In your case, it ALL sounds very shady. I don't fault you one bit for walking away from this one.

double yellow Thanks this.
  4. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Does the broker provide you with another BOL for the real delivery? Just wondering what you'd say to a DOT cop if you're obviously not going to where your original BOL says...

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Yes usually they do. I forgot to mention that part. The whole gig is the shipper thinks it is going to one of their regular customers when in reality that customer has already sold it to someone else. The middle man does not want the actual receiver to know where the product is coming from, that way they can keep doing this and taking their cut.

As far as the DOT is concerned, I have never been inspected when this is happening. I suppose if they really wanted you to validate your claim you could produce some emails.

AndrewH and double yellow Thank this.
  6. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    You cant verify that your ever going to get paid, and that’s where I would just move on and find another load.
    Blind shipments also happen when a customer decides they want a full truck load and FTL rate.
    The other way this happens is when you get to your receiver and they send you to the actual customer and you don’t get paid for your time, either way someone is shoving a little more coin in there pocket and its BS!

7. blessedman

blessedman Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Doniphan, Mo
    I do blind loads of lumber often. What you describe does NOT sound legit. Especially the part about checking in as another carrier.
    Better safe than sorry. Leave the load and the shipper alone!

8. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Chicago IL
    It's so sad that some people have to stoop so low and try to take advantage of someone trying to make a living and provide for their family, what goes around comes around, this "shipper" will get what's coming to him sooner or later.

9. dirthaller

dirthaller Heavy Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Coloratah
    Sometimes the broker is also brokering the commodity. I've filled out handwritten bol's for this reason. Broker doesn't want the shipper to know the load destination. Shipper bol will have 3rd party destination 3000 miles from where the load actually gets delivered.
    This situation you're in sounds very sketchy to me.

double yellow and Mr.X Thank this.
  10. dirthaller

dirthaller Heavy Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Coloratah
    I've checked in as a different carrier when a load is double brokered, but it was for a huge reputable broker.....no problems.

11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    We used to do this out of the particle board plant in Missoula. The bills would show it was going to Vancouver BC but we would deliver to a place in Pacific WA. We wouldn't leave any paperwork when we unloaded. Basically they would buy it and resell it but didn't want their customer to know where it came from. I guess they didn't want them going direct.

Your example sounds like something to stay away from in my opinion.

12. unholy7

unholy7 Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2014
    You were about to ship 40k pounds of heroin

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.