Blind side backing solutions

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Pharaoh, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Pharaoh

Pharaoh Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2015
    Hello,

Interested to know what solutions are available for blind side backing for trucks besides GOAL, and imagination...
    I read the are some blind spot mirrors available...??? How are they helpful? Anything else?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    i seen mirrors attach to the sun visor on the passenger side. honestly i probably blind side 3 times in my life (sleeper, countless in a daycab). i dont think it's even worth the money to buy that mirror, blindside is dangerous, just make a u turn and do it from the driver side.

Chewy352 Thanks this.
  4. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    I have heard some people say they pivot the power passenger-side mirror out to sort of look down the trailer when blind-siding in a sleeper, but that always disoriented me when I tried it. Unfortunately, many places have nowhere to spin around and you must blind-side. I do it nearly every day, but I am lucky to be driving a daycab. When I was in a sleeper, I would just set the brakes and jump over to look out the passenger-side window. Back up a little further, and do it again. If you have obstacles on both sides, you really have no choice but to get out and look. Or risk doing extra "paperwork".

TexTrucker and HalpinUout Thank this.
  5. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    When I'm stuck and have to do it then it simply means getting out and looking many times and pissing impatient truckers off.

Mudguppy and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  6. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Back up and get out as many times as you need to and get as close to hitting something as possible. Then do your pull up. Don't waste it. Keep your foot on the brake and turn the wheel all the way to the left and pull forward as much as possible. Hopefully that will be enough that you can see what you need in your left mirror.

7. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Driving out here for 8 years... Who cares... GOAL is better than hitting another drivers truck... If I have to get out 10 time I could care less about another truck waiting... When I'm trying to make sure I don't hit another truck and a 'super trucker" is getting mad and keeps pulling up and getting ignorant instead of getting out and helping me, sucks to be him...

Never ever let another driver rush you into a parking spot just so you can tear off the fender of another truck...

Some of you drivers have to grow a pair and stand up... What's the driver that cant get past you going to do? Beat you down because you are having trouble?

When they pull that get out and look 10 more times...

If they want to help you good... If they want to get out an get Ignorant Great... Make my day...

How could you be scared? Beat me up for not being able to park? Or beating him down for being Ignorant?

I wish some of these drivers would approach me... Beat down central... Few times close...

I don't care... Throw me in Jail...

I don't let other men talk to me like my keeper

Father Luke, SOG, demi and 4 others Thank this.
  8. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    We had Moto- Mirrors on all of our trucks and with a tanker there weren't very many blind spots. I believe they are one of the top safety items that should be standard.

9. stevez57305

stevez57305 Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Florida
    Power mirror and Get your ### out and look!!!! If you cant take 10 seconds to look. Post every truck stop ur at so i can move if your at 1 im at. Why lose money or a job for a couple of steps to avoid hitting something.when if you hit it your going to have to take those same steps to check out the damage you caused. On a lighter note go to an empty area and work on it so at least you will have somewhat of a clue to what the truck and trailer does.

10. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Drive a tanker...become one with your mirrors.

John 2854 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.