BOL/Rate Confirmation Copies - PLEASE I NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by outonalimb, Nov 5, 2015.

1. outonalimb

outonalimb Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Okay.. so i have been driving for a company (their hot shot flat bed truck) for 3 months. They pay gas, all insurance. I have been asking them for pay stubs for 2 months ( I have only gotten 3- , because they told me their computer is down). Found out today they are considering me sub-contractor. Pay is 25% of load. They have paid Holiday Pay, all gas, all insurance, reimbursed all tolls, reimbursed all expenses like straps. I sleep in truck. I never see how much is being paid for the loads (rate confirmation). I do not get a copy of the BOLs or anything after the load is completed. Should I be getting these things and would I really be considered a sub-contractor? But the way I see it is this..... If you are paying me 25% of the load, how am I to know you are not cheating me if I don't see how much your getting paid for the load. And if I am a sub-contractor, why are you paying me Holiday Pay? and reimbursing me for tolls, straps and tarps. Only thing I do is show up, get in their truck, pick up a load and then drop it off where they tell me to. I have a CDL and that is it.... No business. I NEED HELP!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Are you A W-2 or 1099 driver,On the pay ck. you have are taxes deducted ?

4. outonalimb

Nov 4, 2015
    they said 1099... no tax deductions on pay stubs... never gave me any paper work for anything. i have not signed Anything at all .. no contract.. no nothing. only filled out appliation and they sent me for pee test..that they paid for

5. outonalimb

Nov 4, 2015
    they said 1099, no tax deductions. no contract no nothing. i filled out simple job application they told me to go here , sent me to take pee test, and they paid for that too. and a 5 days later called me to come to work..my first run.

6. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Definition:

An employee is a person who works in the service of another person under an express or implied contract of hire, under which the employer has the right to control the details of work performance (Black's Law Dictionary).

An employee is hired for a specific job or to provide labor and who works in the service of someone else (the employer). The IRS classifies a worker as an employee as follows:

Ads
    Free Contractor Agreement
    contractorforms.rocketlawyer.com

Contractor Agreement. All States. Free to Print, Save & Download!
    In general, anyone who performs services for an organization is an employee if the organization can control what will be done and how it will be done.The control question is used to determine whether a worker is an employee or an independent contractor.
    The factors designating someone as an employee include:

• A specific wage or salary
    • An implied or written contract
    • Control of the person's work by the employer
    Back to All About Employees vs. Independent Contractors

7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Independent Contractor Defined
    Español | 中文 | 한국어 | TiếngViệt | Pусский

People such as doctors, dentists, veterinarians, lawyers, accountants, contractors, subcontractors, public stenographers, or auctioneers who are in an independent trade, business, or profession in which they offer their services to the general public are generally independent contractors. However, whether these people are independent contractors or employees depends on the facts in each case. The general rule is that an individual is an independent contractor if the payer has the right to control or direct only the result of the work and not what will be done and how it will be done. The earnings of a person who is working as an independent contractor are subject to Self-Employment Tax.

If you are an independent contractor, you are self-employed. To find out what your tax obligations are, visit the Self-Employed Tax Center.

You are not an independent contractor if you perform services that can be controlled by an employer (what will be done and how it will be done). This applies even if you are given freedom of action. What matters is that the employer has the legal right to control the details of how the services are performed.

If an employer-employee relationship exists (regardless of what the relationship is called), you are not an independent contractor and your earnings are generally not subject to Self-Employment Tax.

However, your earnings as an employee may be subject to FICA (Social Security tax and Medicare) and income tax withholding.

For more information on determining whether you are an independent contractor or an employee, refer to the section on Independent Contractors or Employees.

It sounds like you are an employee.
    Good luck.

outonalimb Thanks this.
  8. outonalimb

Nov 4, 2015
    I have looked at all of this information before and figured I am an "EMPLOYEE". Now if they consider me a "SUB-CONTRACTOR" is it my right to get copies of the RATE CONFIRMATION s to insure that the amount I am getting paid is correct?? Aside from the fact that I believe I would be classified as an "EMPLOYEE". They have thrown me through a loop so to speak by declaring me a "SUB-CONTRACTOR".

9. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Of course you have the right to receive all paperwork they are using to determine your pay. No matter what they declare your status is. Employee or Contractor.

outonalimb Thanks this.
  10. outonalimb

Nov 4, 2015
    Okay. Thank you. They are doing some crazy stuff That have not dealt with before. Like paying me "Holiday Pay" on pay checks,(separate from load pay checks) but yet the Holiday Pay is not indicated on pay stubs.. seems wonky to me.

11. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Outonalimb if you enjoy this type of work you can get truck and trailer and do this yourself. Yes easer said than done. Sounds like they are operating in a grey area. If something were to happen on the road they will not back you up. Try to get away from that company. ( IMO )

outonalimb Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.