Bought the Uniden Bearcat 880-Antenna Question

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by AVTechMan, May 26, 2015.

1. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I recently picked up this radio at the J this past weekend for $100, which seemed to be a good deal. I hooked it up in my truck today and all seems to work well, not to mention it looks great. When I did the SWR test the number was well over 1.5 (around 3). I read that the number was supposed to be under that so looks like I will need to get some better antennas.

The ones on my Superior company truck (Intl Pro-star) has the short fiberglass antennas so I was wondering what would be a decent set to go with the radio? I've read alot about getting the radio tuned and everything but I would be okay with it out of the box as it as long as it gives me decent range. With company trucks you really can't do much if any modding in them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kelgar50

kelgar50 Medium Load Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Bakersfield,CA
    I had the 880 and have a 980 uniden but run a Stryker 955.The 880 and 980 are decent radios. Not much you can do to them I wouldn't waste my time on a tune up the receive is really good and you can't much over 8-12 watts out of them. As for the antennas I would run new mini 8 coax only 1 though and on the left side. For a antenna I would go with a Predator 10k Bad to the Bone. They tune out flat to a 1:1 ratio are completely rebuild able with a life time warranty.

jessejamesdallas Thanks this.
  4. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Stryker 955....you're running a ham based radio which requires an license. I was interested in looking into getting a starter license years ago but unfortunately got sidetracked. I met a Werner driver years ago that had a ham radio....was really cool to talk to people from different states. Maybe I should look into that again as a side hobby....

Anyway back to topic; I read about the Predator antenna and seems solid for the price, though I am wondering about the height. The fiberglass ones on the truck are pretty short, so would need to get an antenna that's not too tall or heavy for the mirror mount. The Pro Stars have space above the dash where the wiring and cabling for the radio is placed so will have to work on coax routing if getting new coax.

5. kelgar50

kelgar50 Medium Load Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Bakersfield,CA
    Predator has a double coil antenna that is supposed to tune shorter than the Bad to the Bone. You want to make sure you get the coil above the body as much possible. The one I have if I remember right tuned in at. 5'5" right around and has the 9" lower shaft.
    I drive a 386 Pete with the antenna mount on the drivers side mirror bar with a heavy duty mount. I know I'm about 13' tall from top of whip to ground and have not had any problems with height. I haul tankers and roll offs and haven't had any issues in the refineries either. The antenna is very light.
    For the coax I got mini 8 with the removable end cut the end off the old one at the mirror and used Gorilla tape to tape the end of the old to the new used a little silicone spray and pulled it through the mirror brackets into the over head.

AVTechMan Thanks this.
  6. stevez57305

stevez57305 Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Florida
    Hey drivers just looking up some options for my cb attenna and ran across ur thread. I have had 2 unidens bc 980s 1 was mine and another with an o/o and I ran into the same problem with the stock mic at the connection. The wires inside like to break so you might want to keep a spare since it is a 6 prong but only uses 4 wires. And the truck stops dont carry 6 prong mics only 4 from what i have seen. Just my 0.02.

7. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My radio came with the 6-to-4 pin adapter for the 4-pin mics, in ever the case something went wrong with the stock mic.

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  8. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Yep, the 680, 880, and 980 come with a 6 to 4 pin pig-tail adapter, so any 4 pin cobra/galaxy wired mic will work...or you can always get the uniden bearcat wireless mic for it and not have to worry about breaking any wires!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.