Brake help 1997 freightliner fld

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by earthmover, Aug 23, 2016.

1. earthmover

earthmover Medium Load Member

Jan 27, 2009
    castalia , north carolina
    Ok guys I replaced my foot valve on the firewall replaced 2 chambers and 2 slack adjusters..I have air coming out at the pedal with it press the brake..I asked dealership if there was a rubber boot that goes in there behind the foot valve they said no problem has to be somewhere else..brakes work fine for the most part sometimes if you have to hit them hard it slides the back passenger side tires ..s cam and bushings has been replaced about a year ago..only other thing I can think of is the brake rely valve..what you guys think I need to look at..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. earthmover

Jan 27, 2009
    1997 freightliner fld cummins m11 9speed ll 4.11 rears 11.22.5 rear 425 flotation front dump truck ..thanks

4. earthmover

Jan 27, 2009
  5. ClineER

ClineER Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2016
    N.E. Oklahoma
    I would say if all lines are hooked up correctly it would be brake valve itself leaking. If it leaked while off the brakes it could be relay valve, but if you pulled signal line it would leak out of line and confirm that.

6. earthmover

Jan 27, 2009
    Sorry to sound crazy but can you explain to me the process you are talking about..I've tried all I know and had a shop look them over and nothing..but they may not have did anything..thanks

7. ClineER

ClineER Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2016
    N.E. Oklahoma
    The brake valve is first part of system so if leaking while applying brakes it would have to come from valve. If leaking while you are not applying brakes, if you pull delivery lines off and air is coming out of lines, the relay valve could be leaking causing it. I would make sure nothing is binding while pressing brakes that might move shaft in brake valve to cause leak.

8. killer120

killer120 Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2013
  9. killer120

Jul 1, 2013
    and if they say there isn't a rubber boot then they are lying because there is one, its not very big but still could be an issue

10. earthmover

Jan 27, 2009
    Wish I would have found that pedal assembly before the valve cost that much ..smh

11. killer120

Jul 1, 2013
    yeah man, you ever have any problems with the truck just come talk to me and I can probably tell you exactly whats wrong, might save you some money

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.