Brake insp.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by heavyhaulerss, Oct 15, 2010.

1. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I had my neighbor who owns a truck repair shop said he sent 2 mechanics to meridian MS to adjust brakes on a big rig. said the driver said the d.o.t. would not let the driver adjust the brakes unless he was certified to do so & had certification with him. I forgot why he told me the driver or co called him to go out being he was over 200 miles away on the AL/TN line. I have heard of scales in some places not letting drivers or o/o adjust anything unless certified. any one else know of this. I am not certified, but I adjust my own brakes if ,when neccessary. I have no certification on electrical components either, but I do change my own headlights, marker lights, e.t.c. kinda makes me wonder. if you travel on i-24 thru tn you run into mt eagle. the last time I went thru there was years ago, but remember that there was a pull off just befor the downgrade & big signs saying drivers pull over & adjust brakes before going down hill, or something to that affect. how could that be if you have to be certified? or is it law in some states & not others?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    I think its a DOT reg that you be certified. I know when I leased on to the company I'm at now they had me sign a paper to state that I was certified and thats all I need to adjust my own brakes. I know it really sounds stupid.

4. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee

you need to be certified under 49 CFR Part 396.25 to adjust brakes. unless a driver can present such an ID card proving certification, a driver CANNOT adjust brakes. now however, if a driver were to be at (say) the terminal or drop yard, and he checks his brake system out, if he "were to adjust" his brakes, there wouldn't be anyone to see him do this. but then again, the company may FORBID a driver from touching the brakes NO MATTER WHAT or where the trailer is.

i should also point out something here as well. if a driver is certified, he can legally adjust the brakes on ANY vehicle in the weigh station and charge a fee for this....HOWEVER........that certified driver WILL BE 1,000% responsible for ANY THING that can or might happen to those brakes till the next time some other certified person adjusts them. so a driver that helps out, collects a fee or not, may want to re-consider those consequences.

Now, a truck mechanic can be certified from the DOT training, OR can be certified through ASE which is a testing body for auto and truck mechanics.

some truck driving schools "teach" brake adjustments and service inspections for a fee. some trucking companies offer this as well for thier employee's......always good to have as much on your resume as possible i say.......

rocknroll nik and heavyhaulerss Thank this.
  5. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    (d) The motor carrier shall ensure that each brake inspector is qualified as follows: (1) Understands the brake service or inspection task to be accomplished and can perform that task; and (2) Is knowledgeable of and has mastered the methods, procedures, tools and equipment used when performing an assigned brake service or inspection task; and (3) Is capable of performing the assigned brake service or inspection by reason of experience, training or both as follows: (i) Has successfully completed an apprenticeship program sponsored by a State, a Canadian Province, a Federal agency or a labor union, or a training program approved by a State, Provincial or Federal agency, or has a certificate from a State or Canadian Province which qualifies the person to perform the assigned brake service or inspection task (including passage of Commercial Driver's License air brake tests in the case of a brake inspection); or (ii) Has brake-related training or experience or a combination thereof totaling at least one year. Such training or experience may consist of: (A) Participation in a training program sponsored by a brake or vehicle manufacturer or similar commercial training program designed to train students in brake maintenance or inspection similar to the assigned brake service or inspection tasks; or (B) Experience performing brake maintenance or inspection similar to the assigned brake service or inspection task in a motor carrier maintenance program; or (C) Experience performing brake maintenance or inspection similar to the assigned brake service or inspection task at a commercial garage, fleet leasing company, or similar facility.

Read more: http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/396-qualifications-brake-inspectors-19947941#ixzz12RvFr0DM

I qualify because of section (B)... I have experience in performing brake maintenance or inspection at MY repair facility...my driveway.

If I can sign the back of my log as a 'mechanic' that has done repairs I'm qualified to adjust my brakes... and repair all systems on my truck.

dino6960 Thanks this.
  6. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Yeah, you need to be certified to adjust brakes and have proof. For instance, when I drove for Arrow in '04, during orientation, they gave a class on brake adjustment, and then certified us. We could then adjust our brakes or anyones brakes. Even self-adjusting brakes. And unless you have a card in your wallet, the scale boys won't let you adjust them.

7. shiftin'shell

shiftin'shell Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Dayton Virginia
    So how does one find the information or location to get certified. I adjust all the trucks at work and would like to have this piece of paper just to CMYA!

8. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    In order to qualify as a brake inspector, you must show minimum one year work experience in a repair shop or take a brake course at a technical school or equivalent.

9. Flying Finn

Flying Finn Heavy Load Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I wonder how that works for me? During training at 'CDL' school (private school, paid my own way). Part of our actual training course was how to properly adjust manual slack adjusters. This was a 1/2 day course and part of the official curriculum. We do not have an endorsement or certificate to say we passed the course. Mind you it does not include auto slack adjusters, those I leave to my mechanic. Although watching enough times I could do them roadside in a pinch.

10. Oilpatchtrucker

Oilpatchtrucker Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2010
    edmonton alberta
    Here in Canada we have an air brake endoesement on our lic whci we need to be able to drive class 1 trucks so that gives us the right to do our own plus here a drievr is in charge of making sure his brakes are set as part of his pre trip inspection

11. dino6960

dino6960 YOUDAMAN

Jun 25, 2009
    florida
    we have the same thing here to! thus it's just more gooberment horse sheyat to give you a ticket.......next time they as me i'll tell them i am certified.....and when they ask....i'll tell them it's classified!!!! and they dont have the right paygrade for clearence..........who taught me!!!! the U.S Army...4 years of service.....and had a top secret clearence.....what dos it mean.......abosolutly nothing:biggrin_2559: what was my job in the military,,,i was a track and wheel mech......overated parts changer

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.