Brakes very touchy and has excessive pedal free play. Could it be the footvalve?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by CruisingAlong, Aug 1, 2015.

1. CruisingAlong

CruisingAlong Medium Load Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    My new to me 2006 Volvo 780 has extremely touchy brakes. When I depress the pedal, its almost no braking effect and then super grabby. I've adjusted slack adjusters and replaced shoes on tractor and trailer with no noticable difference. It really isn't an issue on dry roads, but in wet or slick conditions, it is exceedingly difficult to keep from locking the brakes with the slightest application of brake pedal.

Also..
    The brake pedal is very low and I have to use a bungee on pedal to keep cruise control working as just riding down the road bumps would cause the brake pedal to turn cruise off.

Could this be a footvalve issue or ? Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    We had a run of Sterlings with E8 foot valves that had those exact same symptoms and it was the foot valve causing it. The driver would say that it had very little braking, then they came on really hard really fast. That did not cause a low pedal though.

I've also seen many of the plungers and hinge pins stick on that style valve. That usually causes the brake to drag because the pedal doesn't return all the way. It's a common thing on our Pete's, we have to pull the pedal and plunger and clean them really good once in a while.

CruisingAlong Thanks this.
  4. CruisingAlong

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    I pulled the pedal and plunger and it moves freely.

I'll replace the footvalve and go from there.. thanks for reply

5. CruisingAlong

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    I have an E6 Footvalve t-290181-f casting number on body. The plunger moves freely and no air leaks, do they have the same touchy brake issues as the e8? Should I just replace to try or is that wasted $$ spent?

6. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    I haven't dealt with any E6 problems, but I'm pretty sure that the E6 and E8 are the same valve with different port locations.

You'll need 2 air pressure gauges to check it. You need to hook 1 gauge to the primary delivery and one to the secondary delivery. With both reservoirs full and equal, if you gradually increase pedal pressure, PSI on both gauges should come up accordingly. Primary usually has a few PSI more than secondary, but they should come up together and smoothly. If you find a point where 1 or both jump up faster than you're increasing pressure, I'd change the valve. When you let go of the pedal, both gauges should quickly fall to zero.

xiipercent Thanks this.
  7. CruisingAlong

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL

It was DEFINITELY a bad E6 footvalve. Since I've head the truck, its always needed a bungee to keep the brake pedal up to keep from cutting off cruise on bumps. I installed the new footvalve and pedal height is back where it should be! I drove it down the road and it was night and day stopping so much smoother as it should with no more hard jerks.

Best 66.00 I've spent on the truck!

Thank you for your help!

xiipercent Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.