Broken bolts on cab on Drop Visor

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by ToddyRich, Mar 22, 2013.

1. ToddyRich

ToddyRich Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2008
    IOWA
    I had a pair of new windshield panels installed and the shop wanted to remove the drop visor for install, it's not a severe drop visor, anyways the shop busted off two bolts and decided they couldn't remove the visor, it's been on the truck since i bought it new. The bolts they broke were one on each side where the ends of the visor mounts to the cab, above the mirror brackets.

the threads are recessed, sorta like a huck bolt, i'm actually surprised the whole thread assembly didn't spin
    any ideas as how to get the rest of bolt out, so as to install a new one

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bikerboy

Bikerboy Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Canada
    weld a nut onto the broken bolt or else weld a washer on first and then a nut too the washer. They really should have fixed it, since they broke it

ky88 and ToddyRich Thank this.
  4. ToddyRich

ToddyRich Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2008
    IOWA
    in another other application I would do that, however Welding a bolt would be impossible, since the bolt broke the head off, and the rest of the bolt is recessed in the cab, i'd really rather not ruin my paint or the visor. I may try and come at it from behind, taking off the interior panels and seeing what I can come up with. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow and post them, its probably easier to see than to explain.

Well i would have had them fix it, however I figured that if a simple windshield install was over their heads, why make it worse! HA

5. cat 03

cat 03 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2013
    That should be a nut sert. It takes a 1/4 inch bolt and all you can see on the outside will look like a thin aluminum washer and the wrung off bolt will be in the middle. You can take a grinder and carefully grind the part that looks like a washer down almost flush with the cab. Then take a punch slightly smaller than the diameter of the nut sert and drive it back in to the cab. Then go to a fastner service store or a truck dealership and get another nut sert for a 1/4 inch bolt they will show you how to take a bolt and nut and install the new nut sert.

mslashbar and ToddyRich Thank this.
  6. ToddyRich

ToddyRich Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2008
    IOWA
    Yes its a nut sert,(couldn't think of how to describe it, or name it) however, grinding would also be impossible, since the visor is over the top of the nut sert. I'm gonna see what I can come up with by looking at it from the backside, removing the interior panels shouldn't be too tough, since it's near the doors. Or get a smaller drill bit and drill it out. Will be using anti-seize on the new bolts!!

7. flat top

flat top Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Colby Ks
    is using an easy out not an option? or maybe they don't make them that small.

ToddyRich, CondoCruiser and ky88 Thank this.
  8. cat 03

cat 03 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2013
    I forgot they wrung it off and then quit before they got it removed from the truck. There is a piece of aluminum that sticks up in the way if you remove the head liner. On mine I had to remove the headliner, the sunvisors,the cb radio, the liner above the cb, and then finally the plastic piece on the door post. That nut sert extends through the cab for at least a half inch and is expanded on the back side to lock that nut sert in place. If you can get a dremel tool with a cutting wheel in there to cut it off you might be able to tap it out if you can pull your visor away from the cab for enough to get the room you need. If you do this you could bolt it back up with a 1/4 inch bolt but, in my case it was easier to take the visor off. I wrung off all four bolts, unbolted the visor from the rest of the window brackets, cut off the nut serts and installed the new ones and put the visor back on in less time than it took me to drop the head liner. When it happened to me I had no idea what a nut sert was.

ToddyRich Thanks this.
  9. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I have one about 3/16".

A small drill bit and easy out along with some penetrating oil would be my first option. If all else fails drill and tap. Use your easy out hole and work your way up to a bit about 1/16" less than the original hole and then try the same size tap. If not you might have to oversize one size.

ToddyRich Thanks this.
  10. mslashbar

mslashbar Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2009
    elizabeth,co
    If you drill it and try an easy out you'll just end up spinning the nutsert. The only way to get it out was mentioned above by grinding the head off and using a punch to push it into the cab.

ToddyRich and CondoCruiser Thank this.
  11. ToddyRich

ToddyRich Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2008
    IOWA
    Well I got some pictures, I thought by coming at it from inside the cab, I could get ahold of the end of the threaded part and unscrew the bolt all the way through, but the nut sert is a "tube style", so there goes that idea. looks like i'm goin to have to try and drill it out...stainless steel bolt=FUN! 20130323_150235.jpg 20130323_150247.jpg 20130323_121215.jpg 20130323_121148.jpg ....please excuse the dirty truck and my computer skills

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.