Broken Driveshaft

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Jhtruck, May 24, 2016.

1. Jhtruck

Jhtruck Bobtail Member

May 24, 2016
    We just installed a rebuild engine in the truck, and when the truck was going back from its first trip after repairs the driveshaft broke. Is it possible that they did something wrong when installing the new engine?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    All depends on how it broke. Got any pictures??

4. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    YES, we've had drivers fired for breaking a driveshaft due to driver abuse, after a truck was towed and the drive shaft was unhooked and later rehooked,
    #Crete

5. Ssgtkevin

Ssgtkevin Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Not always. Did the driveshaft itself break, or was it just a u-joint? I've dropped a driveshaft before because a bolt sheared off on a u-joint.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Some drive shafts WILL fail at a certain torque point. I recall one shaft rated to fail at 1350 pounds torque which is easily generated when sliding tandems at scale house. I hated sliding for that reason.

Engines can and will put out upwards of 2000 pounds if not much more depending on how much drives you are running back there. If I ever buy a tractor again, it's going to have a monster shaft under there capable of taking whatever the engine produces. I rather fix ubolts and such rather than the whole #### shaft.

You can literally be shafted trying to economize with parts designed to fail by the factory LOL..

7. Garzaci

Garzaci Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2013
    It could be a number of factors. If the engine was just rebuilt then the drive shaft itself could have been ready to go too. A newly rebuilt engine could be putting out more torque than it was pre-rebuild and that energy would travel to the next weakest component. How many times had someone rebuilt a car engine without doing the tranny and had that tranny go shortly after?

8. allan5oh

allan5oh Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    Driveshafts are seeing a *LOT* more than 2000 ft lbs of torque. Try 15,000+

Ezrider_48501 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.