Bruce Oakley Trucking (Bulk)

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Lug-Nut, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Gilbertbb

Gilbertbb Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Carrollton, GA
    I live in Georgia. If your familiar with Newborns Truck Stop at Exit 5 then I live about 5-10 minutes from there. That pay sounds good as long as I can still get home. I get 7 children and one was born 6 days ago. I've been talking to Oakley about the end dump side. Is that what your doing? If so how are the loading and unloading times. And, is it easy to learn?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    Load/unload times are usually pretty quick, but it depends on the customer and what they have going on. I've been to scrap yards to load, and from the time I check in to I'm rolling back down the highway, 10-15min tops. Then there are the times you get there and there's 12 trucks infront of you, or a crane is getting serviced, or worst that POS is broke.

Coke, if it's already cooked then all they have to do is load it which takes close to 30mins. If it's not cooked, then you have to wait on that. And depending on where is going, it may have to sit on the ground for a couple of hours before they can load it on you.

Frac sand is about the same. If they have it ready, it takes about 15min to load, but if not you may be there for a few hours.

Learning curve, there's not much of one, just common sense and you can tell a customer no when you feel is necessary. Some places we dump are straight b.s. They'll want you to back in somewhere I wouldn't put a wheel barrel. Some will do it, others wont. It's your call if you can do it or not. If you don't like the way it looks going up stop and ask for another spot. Most times you'll have to wait for a loader to come smooth out the area, which will take a few minutes. But that's better then calling safety trying to explain why you need a wrecker.

You trying to start your own militia? I have a little one and one on the way also. I think I have to be out for two weeks before then can get me back to the house, but I'm down in central florida. I know the Ar, Ok, TN get home on the weekends and through the house during the week, but I'm not sure about Ga.

The good news is once you're home they don't bother you too come back out. I'm normally home for a week/week n a half.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    Cabinover101 and Mooseontheloose Thank this.
  4. Brian Gilbert

Brian Gilbert Light Load Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm scheduled to start 09/08. Just hoping I can bring home between 25-2700 a week. Looks like a good company to work for.

Mooseontheloose Thanks this.
  5. WickedFast1

WickedFast1 Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2015
    Good luck with that! tired of the 'click' at Oakley on my way somewhere else, no one is so busy to pick up the phone or return a call for 2 days!
    I sat Tuesday morning from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm and get a text to deadhead 536 miles for a 230 mile haul

6. pusherman

pusherman Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2013
    I hear jk Williams is pretty good but don't know anything about them

7. Gilbertbb

Gilbertbb Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Carrollton, GA
    I declined the position due to some other reasons but, after reading your post I'm glad that I did. I can't afford to sit. If I have to sit then I'd prefer to sit at my house.

8. Brian Gilbert

Brian Gilbert Light Load Member

Jul 7, 2015
    QUOTE="Gilbertbb, post: 4772869, member: 134476"]I declined the position due to some other reasons but, after reading your post I'm glad that I did. I can't afford to sit. If I have to sit then I'd prefer to sit at my house.[/QUOTE]

I thought I deleted the Gilbertbb account due to the fact that I couldn't log into it. Guess I will log into it a delete it. Thanks for the info Wicked.

9. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    I leased on with Oakley 3 different times, the last being in'09. They are good people overall, but the last time it didn't seem to be a very happy place to work. They had an ex-cop running the safety show, and he knows ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING, no questions, no exceptions. They were hauling a lot of catalyst out of LA, GA, FL etc mostly to refineries along the Gulf Coast. One time I sat in 26 hrs in Sulphur, LA for a load that went 100mi. Only got 10hrs wait time. Yes it is expensive to get a blower but they only required 1,000 up front and the rest came out of the settlement every week. It might be cheaper to get one on your own. They also have a no beard, no long hair policy, partly because of the places they go where there is a possibility of needing to use a respirator. They are sticky on logs, because they used to be the biggest outlaw outfit in the country until the DOT got ahold of them. I don't know how their pay is now, but they pay for loaded and empty miles plus a loaded mile bonus every year. Their trailers are pretty new, and I never had trouble getting anything fixed. I would consider leasing to them again. Good luck whichever way you go.

10. Diaper Rash

Diaper Rash Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Hallsville, TX
    That is incorrect Sir. Oakley pays mileage. They wont say #### about over gross.

11. Arkansas

Arkansas Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    LA- Lower Arkansas
    If I was hauling by the mile I dang sure wouldn't overload.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.