BTC Flat

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ramloghauler, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Jonny1

Jonny1 Medium Load Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Well Ram how is school going?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ramloghauler

ramloghauler Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Cookeville, Tn
    We started driving and backing this week. We have to double clutch (school policy); which took some getting use to, but I've gotten the hang of it. I started off floating the gears, but the instructor caught on to it. lol We do our, one day, night driving next week and it's up and over Monteagle on 41. From what I can gather, that will be our road test as well. Everyone in my class are doing good so far. Will try to keep you updated on my progress. Be safe

The Challenger Thanks this.
  4. Jonny1

Jan 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    41?.... I would think they would have have you climb Monteagle on I24 up and down, so you can get use to selecting the proper gear and using the staging gates. 41 is steep, there is a used pallet warehouse on that road and you have to get the complete truck in LH lane to get into the place. Sounds like your class is moving fast, how many weeks does it run? Do you know if they use load trailers on the road?

The double clutch is required for your state test as well, so they are just getting used to it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  5. ramloghauler

ramloghauler Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Cookeville, Tn
    I'm pretty sure those guys that did their night driving last night, said they went up and down Monteagle on highway 41. They said it was steep, but the curves was what was the really bad part, plus it was foggy half way up and couldn't see anything. Our school is 3 weeks long. Our group is in the second week and we do our PTI, Backing and Road test next week. Our road trainer is very proficient/ knowledgeable and has had us do some really tight right and left hand turns; showing us how to do it without hitting something. We don't pull loaded trailers. I am assuming we don't because it takes longer to stop an empty trailer as a loaded one. We run tractors with sleepers and also pull 53' trailers. We had a KLLM recruiter come talk to us today and he was pushing the Lease purchase program pretty hard. How's everything going your way?

6. Jonny1

Jan 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Sounds like your doing well, I would imagine after driving those large vehicles in the service, this is no big deal.......making the 3 week course the perfect option. I'm glad to see your all doing well. I think KLLM is an ok general comm. hauler, but as a new driver I would stay away from any lease until you get to know the business better. Yes you will run into some very tight corners, especially on the east coast. Trailer management is rough on 41, but very important, with the blind curves and fog.

So what is KLLM paying a new driver these days and what do they pay during training? I'm sure many students would appreciate the current info. I used to haul alot of paper out of Domtar in MS and the KLLM trucks would all be lined up. I think a great training tool is hauling 45 K of paper through Chattanooga and up Monteagle, you will get a good shifting excercise and learning the proper speed on corners.

7. o.m.d.

o.m.d. Heavy Load Member

Aug 15, 2010
    massachusetts
    i'm on the BTC site this looks a really decent company. 300$ a week pay while training, so i'm guessing this means they take you on and train you, and arent looking for experience like most companies i'm finding do. i will most certainly be applying to them when i upgrade to the A!

8. Mike'

Mike' Medium Load Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Toledo, Ohio
    That is exactly what I thought when I read they only pay $300/wk during training. They actually want to train you, and not give a logbook and a seat and say, do you know where Texas is?

I can't wait.

9. o.m.d.

o.m.d. Heavy Load Member

Aug 15, 2010
    massachusetts
    i just emailed a recruiter to see what they are looking for to be sure.

10. o.m.d.

o.m.d. Heavy Load Member

Aug 15, 2010
    massachusetts
    do i know where texas is? the state? yes haha.

this company really looks like they mean business. the mega carriers want 6 months to a year OTR and wont accept anything else. and it really pisses me off because granted i drive locally and straight trucks, i'm a safe driver and i know i will be just fine driving OTR, and for the 3 years i've been driving locally, 6 months OTR means they're much more safter? driving in cities and suburban areas where lots of people live, theres a lot to look out for not just highway traffic. either way i'm hoping to hear back from them soon i think if they will hire me to train soon as i upgrade i found the company i'm looking for. they have owner operators too which is where i wanna go next so it'd be a really good place to be for me i think.

11. Mike'

Mike' Medium Load Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Toledo, Ohio
    Call and speak with James Sharpe1-800-238-6803(ext 135) at BTC. He is a good guy and is very honest and doesn't seem to be interested in just getting warm bodies in the door. He has been very kind to me, and is definitely worth a call.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.