BTC Flat

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ramloghauler, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Jonny1

Jonny1 Medium Load Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    "If you live in Tennessee and you want to take a day or two off, you have to take your truck and leave it at the terminal in Atlanta, Ga. then drive home, take your days off, then drive back to Atlanta to get your truck."

Wow, that kinda bites....8 hours of travel time (up & back) tends to cut into the old time off. I used to see a guy park his truck up by the local Kroger.....but I'm sure thats not company policy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. o.m.d.

o.m.d. Heavy Load Member

Aug 15, 2010
    massachusetts
    my plan is to upgrade from a class B to a class A via private courses as they will be shorter. i took a course and got a certificate for the class B cdl. i don't see how this would prevent me from getting hired on as a driver with no experience.

4. o.m.d.

o.m.d. Heavy Load Member

Aug 15, 2010
    massachusetts
    sure i would never get hired on with an insurance company like us express or swift. i think tomorrow after work i will call a bunch of companies and talk to them to see what they have to say. i'm getting two different answers on this board from different people. also johnny i think you might have my situation confused but i'm sure my last post cleared that up, i am not looking to get hired on with a company like CR england where they train you and you get your CDL with them, i'll be getting it on my own. just not through a 160 hour course, it'll limit opportunities but i could care less to work for companies that hire tons of crappy drivers, itll be a miserable working environment anyway.

5. Jonny1

Jan 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    OMD,
    Wishing lots of luck. Do stop back and let us know how this all works out for ya. Maybe let all the wannabes know what BTC had to say about your plan to get a CDL A with no school and then take their over the road program. I might be all wrong about what carriers require for a student driver to come aboard as things are changing quickly.

6. Mike'

Mike' Medium Load Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Toledo, Ohio
    I do know this about BTC...

:biggrin_2557:

To them, a certificate from an accredited school is AS IMPORTANT to them as a CDL itself. If you have no experience, and no schooling from a school they recognize, they won't hire you.

Jonny1 Thanks this.
  7. Jonny1

Jan 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Wow, Thanks Mike.........its starting to sound like o.m.d might have been mislead by some other posters,.. about having to attend a school? Well I guess we will all have to wait and see what he hears from some of other companies on his list and their requirements.

I know from my years of driving box truck, driving a tractor trailer was a completely different animal, I kind of went to school thinking this would be so easy and I was so humbled in a short time........but thats me.

8. Mike'

Mike' Medium Load Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Toledo, Ohio
    I could be wrong about that...it has happened once or twice before. ;)

But, I am almost certain that is the case.

9. Jonny1

Jan 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Mike, I think you might be dead on.:biggrin_25525:.......but let the man apply to a few places so he can come back here and let us know what he found out with all of the other companies on his list. I think this might be valuable to some of the other people on here looking to get into trucking without attending a formal driving school to get their class A.

10. HouseOfPain

HouseOfPain Medium Load Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Beyond the milky way
    Just wondering how about if you have our cdl for 5 years but haven't worked in trucking for 1 or 2 year's do they take you out on the road with a trainer and would they still require you to have schooling from a PV CDL company? Also would like to know more about their policy as far as accident's criminal back ground and so on. This would probably be in the best interest to people here also. Do they hire out of the east coast? Do they haul to canada?

I think I found my answer but would like to some more info.

11. Mike'

Mike' Medium Load Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Toledo, Ohio
    BTC is pretty selective when it comes to criminal history, accidents, and work history.

Also, it isn't the trucking companies asking for the refresher course...it is THE INSURANCE COMPANIES.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.