"Building" an older 9300?

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Prodirt6000, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Prodirt6000

Prodirt6000 Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2015
    We need a truck on the farm to haul a 36 foot live bottom silage trailer, and later down the road a 30-ish foot dump trailer and a milk tank that will be used daily year around. So we need something that will start well in -20 degree weather. Truck will be used in the field in soft conditions.

We have a budget of about $25,000 for the truck. I see many 9300/9370 for a decent price under 10k that have a big cam with a 9 speed, some with and some without a wet kit. Ive been doing alot of research but still have questions.

A newer reman N14 will bolt right in place of the big cam, and a wiring harness can be purchased for a little under $1,000 to make it match up with the truck. Radiator and lines will need replacing as well as accelerator. A 9 speed transmission (depending on model of tranny) can be converted to a 13 speed for fairly cheap, but will it hold up? We would like to run the N14 to upper 400 hp because we need that extra horse in the field and hills. 18 speed is more ideal, but more expensive. How about the rear ends, will they last? Most trucks I have looked at have a power divider, but can you make them full locker too?

So my question is....am I crazy? Should we just try and find a truck that is already set up like this for that price or can this build be done? Most trucks I see are just about what we want but is always lacking something. And we are not experienced in purchasing trucks so we are not exactly sure what to look for or what surprise issues we may find when we get a truck.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Honestly I've been down that road before and you're better off getting what you want from the start. Most axles today use air lockers but a lot of the older diffs like the Rockwell SSHD's came with open diffs that you can have pulled apart and a Detroit locker installed for $1k or so per diff. For what you say you're going to use it for I wouldn't go with any axles lighter than 44k lbs.

Another thing to really look at when buying an older truck is if it has a double frame in the back. If it does and the flanges are starting to lift (from rust/corrosion between the 2 rails) either run, or be prepared to spend a day or 2 pulling out the frame inserts and sand blasting the frame.

4. Prodirt6000

Aug 30, 2015
    Thanks for the response. We have a guy here that does double framing and your right I've seen some trucks that are already double framed and the rust really does do some damage in between.

I can't believe some of the prices of the trucks we find. I called on one truck from a dealer that didn't have a price. All brakes have been replaced, under 400k miles on a 95 kenworth t800 new paint wet kit red top n14 wanted $37k for it. Definitely a sharp truck, but for the year seems high priced. He told me anything needing addressing has been addressed.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    400k original miles or just on a rebuilt engine?

6. Prodirt6000

Aug 30, 2015
    Claims it's original. Truck looks it too. Had a sister truck he had just sold with similar mileage

7. gunner76

gunner76 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2010
    IA
    a few years ago I'd say $35k for a 20yr old truck was insane, but with the way these newer trucks are that price may not be that bad and I'm sure it will sell. I'm sure you could find a similar truck that isn't as nice and with high miles for a lot cheaper. But then figure you'll probably need to do an inframe at the minimum which will probably be around $12-14K or so depending on the shop and if you need extra parts, then add the wet kit(no clue on price of those) and you probably won't be too far behind the price of that T800. If you added fresh paint you'll have close to the same invested. Only problem with paying the high price for the original truck is that even though it only had 400k on it it's still a 20yr old truck and will probably have issues with seals and other stuff going bad from age. If you bought a fixer upper and rebuilt it you'd know what you have.

I agree with the others though, it's probably best to find a truck that is set up as close to what you want as possible. A 13spd will work just fine for what you want and even a 10spd will work but they can be a bit tougher to get going on soft ground.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.