BULL Haulers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Calregon, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Calregon

Calregon Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Oregon
    Are there any cattle haulers out there? If you are one. Is it a good niche? Year round? good money? Are there companies that only haul cattle? Where do you run? What ever you can tell me would be great. I wasnt thinking about it but, it was suggested to me as I have cattle experience.

tompetty69 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    National Carriers has a bull hauler division in Tyler, TX.
    Check their website.

4. LittleMissCabover

LittleMissCabover Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2011
    kansas
  5. Tmtbob

Tmtbob Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2014
    Oklahoma
    National hauls fats from feedlots to their packers. If you live in the area of the plants I would think you could be home regular but they do a lot of early morning load outs. Nothing was more aggravating to me than at the end of a 1200 mile haul at 5am waiting to unload my cattle for 15 to 20 national trucks loading out for a 50 mile haul to plant. I get impatient when I'm tired and after 18 hours of riding I'm ready to be home. They might do some longer hauls for feeders but the majority of their stuff is short to packing house. Everyone has their own preference on length of hauls and I like the long trips just cause I could run my couple thousand miles in a few days then be home for the rest of the week and if I needed to run more I could make another trip. It's my equipment and with a good reputation of my family name out there with cattle buyers since the 70s I could pick what I wanted. Working for someone you won't get that option and better plan on little sleep with lots of miles. Check out livestock network if it's still active you could probably get some ideas there

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You want to be a bullshipper!

7. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    If you have no experience as a driver I doubt that any reputable livestock company will hire you. Hauling livestock isn't for a newbie, not saying it isn't, hasn't and can't be done it's unlikely. I've hauled them and it's like pulling a smooth bore tanker. What you're hauling can hurt you, it dies if you don't do your job, sleep isn't an option. It's like any other type of trucking it has slow times and busy times. The money is about the same when you figure in all the variables.

8. Calregon

Calregon Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Oregon
    Not really, It was suggested by a guy that buys some of our cattle. (I live, work, and run a small cattle ranch), Just thought I would get some info from here. I am actually looking at SNI, Melton,TMC, System and a couple more flatbed/pole outfits. Although a couple dont hire students. Im still gona try to get on with them. Worst they can say is no. I will be done with school on April 28, So, im starting to narrow things down a bit.

9. Cowmobile

Cowmobile Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    The hammer lane....
    Its good money but you work for it..It's pretty much year round but there are slow times of year, the busiest time (for me) is usually from late july into December, I run from the southeast to the west, usually 1200-1700 miles one way. I'd stay away from the big companies like national and JBS, try to find smaller Companies (2-3 trucks) or an O/O to give you a shot, there's not many that will take a chance on hiring someone with no driving experience, but, since you have cattle experience you have a better chance, it's easier to teach a cowboy to drive a truck than it is to teach a truck driver to cowboy.. The driver of my second truck didn't have much experience driving but had been workin cattle all his life, I took him, trained him the way I wanted so he didn't pick up any freight hauler habits, and he's turned out to be one hell of a good hand,at 26 years old! As long as your willing to listen and learn and work someone might give you a shot.. It ain't for candyasses!

BullJockey Thanks this.
  10. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I agree with cowmobile its easier to make a driver than a cowboy. Gonna be a lot more deadheading than freight or other types of trucking. If you been around cattle than you know how they can beat you, just be ready for a 1000 mile ride after. You'll want to grab a bite to eat while the fuel nozzle is still in the tank, run like hell if it ain't. I do pretty well at it, but money has very little to do with why I do it. It's not for the faint of heart or the weary, may cost you everything you own if it gets in your blood. It has made a good life for us, I can't complain much if I did nobody would listen.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.