Business Entity

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by highspeed1972, Aug 26, 2016.

1. highspeed1972

highspeed1972 Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Weatherby Lake, MO
    Not a current driver but thinking of getting back in.

What is the best way to pay the least amount of taxes legally? LLC or C corp then pay myself say 28,000 a year then I can mover 18,000 into a solo 401K. Then I only have to pay self employment taxes on the 10K.

I can then contribute from the company an additional 25% of the net income into my solo 401k avoiding paying taxes on that income.

I know that there are many legal ways to pay as few taxes as possible. I am tired of working while feeling I am in quick sand. I am well paid but due to no real tax deductions I pay a ton of money in taxes.

How are others using the system to work for them? Interested in hearing.....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I have an LLC filing as an S Corp. I am paid a salary through the S Corp. The S Corp pays my benefits, etc.

I receive an annual dividend that is taxed at a 15% clip. The red flag is when the owner takes an unreasonable dividend % versus the income taken out. What I have read is that a 75% income 25% dividend is reasonable.

In addition, taking an S Corp election requires filing an application with the IRS showing justification for doing so. Which usually means demonstrating you intend to grow the business.

redoctober83 and highspeed1972 Thank this.
  4. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I do the LLC with a S Corp tax structure also. I pay myself $750 a week salary, which is based on average annual income of truck drivers in my area according to Dept of Labor. Income tax and SSI paid on that. Anything else the "company" makes is distribution to me. That is only income tax and avoids SSI taxes. $150 to establish LLC with the state and a simple form to file with the IRS to establish S Corp tax structure.

This really is only viable if one is actually netting more than the average driver annual income for your area. For Iowa, it is $39,000 - $41,000 a year.

5. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    You have the right concept, but your expectations are suffering delusions of grandeur. What you want to contribute is way beyond what the IRS will allow you to contribute, for both the employer and employee contribution.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Don't you mean that is capital gains and is not subject to social taxes like fica?

7. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I did it under a c Corp for a lot of reasons, one is that the money after taxes can be directly put into a deferred tax retirement accout like a 401k or an Ira. I don't take money out of the company and can move it to a trust or some one else without the issues of an llc.

But this all depends on what you want to do and having a good accountant who can map out what's what and a lawyer who can properly set it up, and file the annuals saves a lot of grief.

8. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    It is not capital gains, but a distribution, so subject only to normal income taxes. Capital gains falls into a different tax rate. But yes, distributions are exempt from FICA tax. Doing LLC avoids many of the regulatory hassles of incorporating, while the S Corp tax structure allows the tax benefits. Best of both worlds.

http://www.bizfilings.com/toolkit/news/tax-info/llc-plus-scorp-equal-best-of-both.aspx

9. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Ok I got it, I do dividends so it is different. Thanks for the clarification.

However i went to a c Corp for protection first and then for taxes. I pay more taxes (in number of taxes) but I have a lower tax liability. Works for me, but won't for many.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.