Butane Stoves in Trucks

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by KoolKid, Jul 19, 2012.

1. KoolKid

KoolKid Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Arkansas
    Okay, I have a question I could not find the answer too. I have been driving for 4 years now and I have always heard that you cannot have a butane stove (1 burner for a pan/skillet) in your truck because we can not have butane/propane in the truck. Does anyone know if we can or not? I have seen the stoves at T/S and the butane but I am thinking that is mainly for travelers and RV's.

Was thinking on getting one as an option besides my microwave. Thanks drivers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    ya mean like this?

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu.../fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=392.51&keyword=butane

4. cpttuttle

cpttuttle Medium Load Member

Oct 20, 2011
    altoona,pa
    been using one for years.

KoolKid Thanks this.
  5. KoolKid

KoolKid Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Arkansas
    Thanks driver!.... Im going to go grab one tomorrow. Thanks again.

6. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I have been using a Coleman propane stove for almost...... 20 years now. Wow how time flies.

KoolKid Thanks this.
  7. One_tooth_wonder

One_tooth_wonder Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Cleveland, TX
    Yep, we carry little propane torches for thawing congealed product- I keep extra bottles in th cab, and have never had a problem during an inspection, even with an a-hole cop. Also have 100 lb propane tank on the side of the truck to run a heater for the product.

8. nicholas_jordan

nicholas_jordan Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2012
    temple texas
    okay, my $.02 even if regs allow such the burner would have to be completely shrouded in a metal of some kind and it better be good due to the things that it could contact ~ really thinking about this so thanks for starting the thread

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i got mine from walmart. only been used once so far. LOL.

i hate cooking. and usually too tired anyways.

if you can, walmar will always be your financial friend over a truckstop. i usually don't buy anything but drinks. and fuel.

10. Mainframe

Mainframe Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2010
    beloit, wi
    actually the law states that there may not be an open flame in operation at any time a vehicle is moving. you can only use it when the vehicle is sitting. to not allow any sort of combustion on a car or truck would make all illegal just by the powerplant. read in here folks, there are still some steam powered cars in operation today, as jay leno can tell you. but the flame is inside a chamber and therefore isolated from causing a fire. so yes, you can have a propane, butane, methane, charcoal grill, etc. just don't be using it while moving. heck, i get by with one of those little lunchbox sized ovens. even bakes bread.

11. StayBusyTrucker

StayBusyTrucker Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    I have a coleman stove with a 1lb propane burner and a grill that runs off of propane 1lb tank, nothing like over charging drivers for some grilled pork steaks once they smell it they will pay anything lol..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.