C-12 cat issues

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by PacManTrap, Feb 13, 2016.

1. PacManTrap

PacManTrap Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Maryland
    ok here's a rundown. I have a 2001 Peterbilt 379 with a c-12 cat( I know a baby motor but bare with me) 4 days ago it was running fine. Left tank says almost on E, right tank says closer to a quarter tank. I went to fire it up today because the weather has been very cold These last few days. In the low to mid 20s for the last 10 days. Could my fuel be frozen? But anyway It turned over but wouldn't catch. So I primed it 25 times and it almost caught but still didn't turn over. Eventually I turned it over and had some one push the primer while cranking and it fired up pushing blue smoke out the stack. It went up to about 9000 rpms for about 20 seconds then dropped down to 5-6000 rpms. I tried to push the fuel pedal to rev it back up, no response. I cut the cruise on and tried to bump up the rpms, no response just stayed at 5-6000 rpms. What could possibly be the culprit to this? I'm in dire need of advice. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JDHIGGINS44

JDHIGGINS44 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Waynesburg, PA
    First off the RPM's would be in 100's not 1000's. Being that you are that low on fuel and if the temperatures have been in that range for that long you could be gelled up. Good rule to always abide by is never leave fuel tanks that low in the risk of cold weather problems are multi. First off the smaller amount of fuel the more prone it is to gelling up and secondly the empty tanks allow condensation to form on the inside of the tank walls whic in turn leads to freezing and ice crystals which can cause fuel filters to plug.

PacManTrap Thanks this.
  4. Cory wood

Cory wood Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Yes that is definitely the problem, get some more fresh fuel and maybe some anti gel and you will probably be fine, maybe use a little ether to get it going and let it run and the warm return fuel will help.

PacManTrap Thanks this.
  5. PacManTrap

Jan 29, 2016
    Maryland
    Ok thanks a lot, will definitely keep that in mind. I'll try to fill it up tomorrow and see how it goes. I appreciate your quick response

6. PacManTrap

Jan 29, 2016
    Maryland
    Ok thanks a lot. I'll try that tomorrow as soon as I can. I'll definitely never let it run that low again.

7. PacManTrap

Jan 29, 2016
    Maryland
    Took the fuel filters off and they were like a sludge mixture. Put new fuel filters on, put Lucas fuel stabilizer and injector cleaner in the new filters. Dumped howes anti gel in the tank and it's been running fine ever since.

8. Cory wood

Cory wood Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2015
    another problem may be its a c-12:)

9. PacManTrap

Jan 29, 2016
    Maryland
    but truck and trailer is paid for so I'm happy with my C-12...and this is my 1st truck

Attached Files:

10. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I'm glad you got it going. Regular #2 fuel usually doesn't cause problems until you get down a bit colder than 20 degrees, but water sure will.
    Any chance you had bio-diesel in it?

I have avoided bio-diesel like the plague for this reason, and it is hard to find it where I live. In warmer climates it may be great with added lubricity, but I suspect the cloud point is higher than straight #2.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.