CA Hwy99 & Ave.16, Madera,CA

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by vanishing point, May 26, 2016.

1. vanishing point

vanishing point Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Purgatory, CA
    Madera County, California

http://abc30.com/news/3-people-are-dead-following-a-fiery-crash-in-madera/1356741/

By Vanessa Vasconcelos Abc30.com
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 08:52AM
    FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) --
    A stretch of northbound Highway 99 at Avenue 16 is shut down as investigators work to learn more about what caused the accident and clear the wreckage.

Three people were killed in a crash on northbound Highway 99 at Avenue 16. A couple in their 60s and a semi truck driver in his 40s.

According to officers on scene an elderly couple in a motor home made an unsafe lane change -- crashing into a semi carrying sheets of glass. Both then veered right hitting a eucalyptus tree. Both vehicles burst into flames.

CHP officers have been investigating this throughout the night. So far its unknown whether they died from the impact or flames. The flames and smoke were so big that the train stopped blocking Cleveland Avenue -- a major intersection in Madera.

Within the last hour they were able to clear the train tracks and the train is moving. They hope to have at least one lane open by 6 a.m. for the morning commute.

A traffic detour has been set up from Cleveland Avenue to Country Club Drive, to Avenue 17.

Note: Again, this is from an 8:30 report. Hwy99 was scheduled to open possibly by 10:00am

HalpinUout and AM14 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    Very sad. Some of those RV's scare the hell out of me. Some of these people can't even keep their BMW's in the lane. Then they go and buy those mega RV's. Somehow DOT looks the other way. I saw a camper trailer the other day with a towbar and car hooked to the back of the trailer fishtailing all over the place. I didn't even know that was legal. Be extra alert everybody. Tourist season is here.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. vanishing point

vanishing point Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Purgatory, CA
    Most of them that I've come across do well, even in bad wind conditions, though there have been some I felt should have been pulled over for drifting too much. Whether it was drinking or distraction, it's all the same to me.

It's the folks pulling those two-wheel U-Haul trailers, too $#@%ing fast, getting all wobbly, that I've had to maintain distance with.

As some drivers already commented in the "rd closure" thread I started before this, the Madera stretch (or area for that matter) is an eventful one.

Just 8 hours after this accident, one of Interstate's drivers struck a 70yr-old man, wandering in the hwy after encountering problems with his car... at the junction of Ave. 7.... merely a few miles south of this tragedy. CHP said trucker was not at fault (obviously, since it was still dark then).

The old man? Not sure if he was drunk, had a medical condition or what.

5. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    I've seen on more than a few occasions the idiot rv's on i5 and 99 going through there. Most often driving like in a car, cutting people off and swerving onto ramps at the last minute.

6. Kentucky Hotline

Kentucky Hotline Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2012
    California
    On the very same day that accident happened at ave 16 another fatality happened at ave 7 and 99 when a semi hit an elderly pedestrian. Apparently, the elderly man wrecked his car and then wandered out into the freeway.

Edit:
    I should have read the whole thread before commenting. I now see that Vanishing Point already mentioned this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.