Calgary Alberta Drivers Losing Jobs To Autonomous Trucks

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Humandriver, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Humandriver

Humandriver Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    I wonder how the robot driver is going to handle snow and ice. Good luck with that. First time a autonomous truck kills someone every single one of them will be pulled from the road.

4. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    Yeah , mining trucks at one mine are being used in an experiment and you're implying that truck drivers in general in Alberta are losing their jobs . First , get real . Second , stay in Canada ; most of you shouldn't be driving at all . And third , the sky isn't falling .

truckthatpassesyouby Thanks this.
  5. Humandriver

Humandriver Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2015
    1) I'm not in Canada. 2) The two biggest mining companies Rio Tinto & BHP have FLEETS of autonomous trucks in their mines in Australia. Anyone in the occupation of operating a heavy vehicle should take notice and start writing letters to regulators, if you want to protect the occupation. If you don't care... then by all means look the other way.

6. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    So they should continue to pay you for a job they no longer need you to do... indefinitely?

Have you considered a career in weaving?

7. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Lol. The sky isn't falling.

it's already been said that a driver still need to be in the truck, because for whatever reason computers aren't perfect.

also if you've been paying attention to what Google's Project car is dealing with, you'll find out that the computer can't make decisions when there's too much random human behavior on the road

so for those of you saying oh just wait till it drives on ice or on steep hills, I'm pretty sure that's when the human driver will take control. the human driver also takes control on unsafe weather conditions, public highways, deliveries, truck stops.

I say the best thing we can do right now is work on a law that insures the human for a lot of money in case the computer causes our death. because I'm sure anyone in those trucks right now is signing a death waiver. That way when companies want us in those truck, insurance rates will cost them so much more than on a regular truck, that it won't be profitable.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.