California CARB requirements

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by bonous, Apr 14, 2015.

1. bonous

bonous Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    I just read California CARB requirements and it looks like I'm good to go to California until 2023 then i will need a 2010 engine or newer. Please let me know if my understanding of it is wrong. My truck is a 2007 Volvo 780 with a D16 Volvo engine in it, no DFP. I'm I good to go till 2023?

Thanks in advance for any info on it!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    If your truck is a 2007, then usually the engine is a year older which will make it a 2006. Check the emissions label. CARB goes by the engines manufactures date, NOT THE YEAR OF THE VEHICLE. And if you do have a 2007 engine with the emssions required for that year YES, your good to 2023 according to the info I recieved from CARB.

4. bonous

bonous Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Thanks Diesel Dave, the emission label is it on the engine? i will check in the morning. What if is a 2006 engine?

5. Diesel Dave

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    2006 engine, you need DPF retrofit as of 01/10/14. In other word's your NOT compliant. These regs keep changing. Im just telling you what I have in front of me. Your best bet is to hear it right from the horses mouth which is CARB themselves. They have a 800 number, call and leave your callback info or wait for about an hour on the phone.

6. LeeJackson

LeeJackson Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Santa Fe Springs, CA
    Maybe...2007-2009 "engines" need to have a particulate matter trap (PM filter) installed on the engine as of January 2014 to be compliant with CARB. Check to see if your truck has a 2007 engine or a 2006. If a 2006 you are good to go, if not, a PM filter is about $15K installed. I know because I've had 2 installed. You can place an order for one with a small deposit and run until the part comes in as long as you have the receipt in the truck. There been such a backlog that it will take 3-6 months to get your part so the DOT has not been issuing fines. Like everything else in California, ARB is a cluster with a number of what-ifs. Here's a link that should help.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/FSRegSum.pdf

7. bonous

bonous Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Hands down you guys are very helpful. Thanks for your time, the knowledge and experience!
    I looked at the information on the driver side door and my truck was manufactured in April 2006 so i take it the engine is 2006.
    Below is the emission sticker i found on the driver side door, is this the emission sticker I'm looking for or is there another one for the engine? If so where will it be located on the truck (2007 - Volvo 780)
    View attachment 82356

8. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    A 2007 or newer truck with a 2007 or new engine and a DPF is generally good in Calif thru 2020,, Something to check is Calif gives exemptions on older trucks for small fleets.
    I have a neighbor that could have gotten an exempting if he was running with his own authority as a small fleet but because he is leased to United Van Lines and they have a lot of trucks he does not qualify for the exemption,,contact CARB they are very helpful quiding you threw all the red tape,,
    Rember if you haul in and out of the ports or railyards they have different and more strict regulations

9. Diesel Dave

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    If you have a 2006 engine, you need to have a PM filter. You are NOT in compliance with a 2006 engine. In good faith if you plan to have a PM filter installed, a deposit to a certified CARB installer will buy you time. And to the OP, the Emissions label HAS TO BE ON THE ENGINE, thats another NOT in compliant issue if you dont have it on the engine.

double yellow Thanks this.
  10. LeeJackson

LeeJackson Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Santa Fe Springs, CA
    You are right Diesel Dave. He would NOT be good to go with a 2006 MY engine. Thanks for catching that! :biggrin_25514:

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    This is excellent information. I want to go out on my own, but I am completely bamboozled with the CARB regulations. There are a plethora of 2009 shakers available, but many people say they are only in compliance until 2016. The local shaker dealer isn't sure either. I emailed CARB, but they never wrote back. If I knew I could run a '09 Columbia for sure for the next 5 years, I'd have one. Ive been looking down the gun barrel at 2012 Cascadia's. And my BIGGER question what year refer is CARB compliant, and will remain that way in years to come?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.