Calling All Choice ICs!

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by EddieForHire, Jul 5, 2015.

1. EddieForHire

EddieForHire Light Load Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Carlisle, PA
    Greetings all,

Eddie Spaghetti here. Some of you know me from the forums here. I live in Carlisle, PA and used to company drive for the big orange. Did OTR, then northeast regional, and finally CHEP pallet local account for Schneider. Foolishly believing the grass would be greener on the other side of the fence, I left orange to do a lease purchase program for a reefer outfit out of Maine. The money is good but I am miserable running this reefer.

Those of you who know the reefer biz are well aware of how terrible it is to pickup/deliver at 2AM, spend 6-8 hours loading/unloading, lumpers, etc. So, I will be wrapping up my 1 year lease here and coming back home to Schneider in October. I really miss the great folks in Carlisle OC and the company in general is far and away the best to work for. I know many IC drivers and how the program works. Ok, introduction over. Thanks for staying with me, I'll get into my question now..

I know running choice out of Carlisle PA there is tons of local, short haul freight that pays well and will get me home just about every night. Definitely looking forward to that- especially after this miserable reefer lifestyle of out 6-8 days and then home for 2. My wife is from FL and is a bit homesick these days. I know dry van stuff out of FL is very weak. My question is for all of the choice guys living in or near Florida.

I am exploring the possibility of moving the family down to the Jacksonville area. Any of you IC guys live in FL or GA? Is there any way I can make good money out of that region and still get home say, every other night? Basically, I am trying to have the best of both worlds, like I will in the Carlisle PA area. Good money(1300-2000 weekly net) and hometime. I will be leasing a truck from Schneider finance so there is the weekly deductions of $1100ish. Thank you for any advice you guys may be able to offer on this matter.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    You could be home frequently if you live in the northeast and what I mean easily everywhere and even some days during the week if it plans out..but every night might be stretch though..

4. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    Give it a shot... When you figure it out let me know

5. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Carlisle = LOTS of money
    Florida = go broke

AlexFromMD and atruckr Thank this.
  6. EddieForHire

Jan 26, 2014
    Carlisle, PA
    Debbie downers!! LoL I figured it would be difficult to pull off. Living in jax I would grab freight out of GA coming out of the house. So you are all saying there is no money to be made running from southeast to northeast and back down again?

7. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    nah I'm keeping it real.
    There's no money down there.
    It's not just Schneider.. everybody knows Florida sucks.

I've seen loads out of Florida going to the Northeast for $1.10
    Yeah you can run Florida but you'll be taking a huge pay cut.
    Sometimes you can get lucky and find a good paying load going in but it's always peanuts coming out of that area 100% of the time.

EddieForHire Thanks this.
  8. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    so maybe you can share based on what he posted. Loads out of Georgia , up and down the coast.

9. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    I just did Florida last week got out for 1.55 between 2 loads all miles. But I took loads out of ga.

10. EddieForHire

Jan 26, 2014
    Carlisle, PA
    You mean going in and then out averaged out to $1.55??

11. atruckr

atruckr Road Train Member

May 14, 2011
    Victorville CA
    From what i have seen in FL..Tho it has picked up a little in last coupe of years, there is no way you will get the flexibility to be home as much as you would in Carlisle. My first year as IC I lived in Carlisle area but was from CA so I ran out west more back then it was a little better freight..So we moved backed to Cali, but now that I have the experience of freight lanes and how it works wish I would of stayed in Carlisle.. I'm always out here in PA now..

EddieForHire Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.