Calling All Hot Shots

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by SMBdriver, Sep 6, 2011.

1. LTenterprise

LTenterprise Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2011
    That's good mileage for that truck. The one ton dually I have gets between 10 and 11 mpg loaded or empty. Part of the problem is the body. It's a stake body which I enclosed with plywood for carrying mulch, stone,etc.. I have noticed I can pick up about .3 mpg by just pulling the tarp over the empty body as it traps a lot of air increasing drag. It also has a 4:10 rear that doesn't help, but I'm sure your truck has at least that being a 5500.
    The 6.4 liters are not known for fuel mileage for sure.
    There are ways to increase the mileage on these trucks like the DPF delete kit and a tuner for about $1400.00, but it's illegal and would void the warranty. Since I only have 20k miles on it, I'm reluctant to do it.

I'm not sure about Ram or GM, but Ford is playing with the rear gear ratios to increase the fuel mileage on their diesels. If you check the window stickers on the F350 SRW diesels with the Lariat package, i.e the pimped out version, you'll see 3:31 to 3:55 rear. Check the same size in the work truck package, the XL's, you'll get the 3:73 rear, which is much better for towing. With the 4:10, you hardly know you have anything behind you.

SMBdriver Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LTenterprise

Sep 18, 2011
    Including the truck, trailer weight, what is the max you can weight out loaded and be legal?

4. LTenterprise

Sep 18, 2011
    Part of the reason they are cheap is they can haul 8 or 9 cars at a time on a tractor trailer car carrier and they seldom run around empty. If you specailize in antique or collector muscle cars, you may get a better price, but you would need an enclosed trailer for that. Otherwise, car dealerships move a lot of cars around and you could advertise on e-bay or craigs list for cars or other items.

5. LTenterprise

Sep 18, 2011
    I've seen a few rigs like SMB's here in the East, but I suspect most of them are using enclosed box trucks and vans maybe do to the greater variety of industry in the northeast, the lousy winter weather and even security issues as well.

SMBdriver Thanks this.
  6. SMBdriver

SMBdriver Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2010
    If I still had the 40' I would be legal up to 45,000 lbs, which is what I am permitted at. The cargo limit on that trailer was 25,000 lbs. The truck fully fueled with me in it plus the trailer scaled at 19,500.

With the 20', my limit is 11,500 on the trailer which is all it will carry.

7. SMBdriver

Nov 28, 2010
    I talked to a guy a few months ago who said he had a propane system put on his truck that boosts power and increases his fuel mileage. I looked into it a little, but haven't found enough info to decide if this is a good idea or not. He swore by it though. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else is doing this and if it really does help, or if it's more of a power boost for towing heavy stuff.

8. SMBdriver

Nov 28, 2010
    Yep, I'm just socking back cash waiting until mine starts needing more than an oil change and lube... this week we do the tranny oil change too.

The biggest drag about this particular truck is the amount of DEF fluid it goes through. They said at the dealership that it would use about 1 tank of DEF between oil changes. Boy, were they wrong! As it turns out, if you pull a trailer it goes through the DEF at about twice that rate, maybe faster.

9. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    You are using a new truck.

Mine has the 5.9.

I feel for you. I have friends with 6.7's.

10. Motownfire

Motownfire Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2010
    The Great State of Texas
    What's wrong with the 6.7's ???

11. SMBdriver

Nov 28, 2010
    I was wondering the same thing... aside from the DEF aggravation I haven't had any trouble with it at all.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.