Calling all Southern CA. Cryo haulers

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Cali kid, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Hi guys, I was wondering about how many hours do you guys run in a shift for local work. Also how long does it take to load and unload bulk trailers. Thanks in advance, I ask because I've been offered a position but I'd have to take an hourly paycut.

moloko Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    Wow, I thought Cryogenic work was the pinnacle. Almost impossible to get in where I'm at, but there also aren't many Cryogenic carriers here. Could be interesting work for you. Pay may be lower, but the workload may be better.
    Good luck

Cali kid Thanks this.
  4. CryoGuy

CryoGuy Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Hobart, IN
    I'm not SoCal, but a ballpark load/unload time would be 1 hour to 1.25.

Cali kid Thanks this.
  5. Cali kid

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Thanks driver.

6. xitman

xitman Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    I'm in Seattle and our schedules are usually planned for about a 12 hour shift. I work nights, so I think I usually average maybe about 10 hour night overall. You can load a trailer anywhere between 20 min to over an hour. Depends on the product, whether you're loading by yourself or not and tank levels at the plant and in the trailer. Unloading too depends on the customers tank size and the pressure in that tank. We have some that take 10 min and some that take close to 2 hours. I'd say average of about 45 min. Nitrogen will always be the longer one. Hope this helps.

Edit. Also if it's Air Liquide or Air Gas I'd advise you not to take it.

7. Lumper with a license

Lumper with a license Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Mississippi
    Why not air gas I just applied for bulk tanker driver

8. Cali kid

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    It's Air Products, and thank you for your help driver. I belive they have you start with CO2 and then they have a couple other gases. Nitrogen, ARGON, and Helleum I believe.

9. Cali kid

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Another question guys, I haul fuel now which is steady work all year round. How is cryo is it fairly consistent work?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  10. xitman

xitman Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    AL acquired AG a while ago and our entire benefit package will be changing and not for good (I drive for AL and AG is being put in charge of everything). All sorts of stuff is not very clear as to what else will be changing in the next year.

I've been doing it for almost 2 years and we never had any layoffs. It's pretty steady.

scythe08, harlycharly55 and Cali kid Thank this.
  11. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I saw an air products trailer on the 405 the other day with liquid hydrogen. Pretty crazy, literally rocket fuel. But, it was pulled by a Trimac tractor.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.