Camaro and pickup causes accident on the NY Thruway.

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by rasymacmac21, Apr 27, 2015.

1. NYSuperTrucker

NYSuperTrucker Light Load Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Twin Cities MN
    At that point, car 1 would slam on his brakes...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Just the other day was hauling a 12' wide, 85k lb excavator on a 60 mph 2 lane state road, when I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me....I saw a big truck in the opposite lane approaching from maybe 1/2 mile or so (hey, it's FL so it was relatively flat!). Next thing I know, there's now a car next to the truck approaching me as well!
    I figure the impatient 4 wheeler will see me and duck back in........Right??!?
    Nope! Jackwad instead decided it would be better to jerk his wheel left, causing him to swerve off the road TO MY RIGHT where he continued on into the drainage ditch, fishtailing and spewing up mud when he finally faded out of my rearviews......:biggrin_2556:

######, I need to get me a dashcam!!!!:biggrin_25523:

tsavory and tucker Thank this.
  4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I have to disagree. It was unlawful and reckless when the Camaro tried forcing the pickup off the left side of the road while attempting to squeeze his way past before the pickup made it up to the semi. The pickup WAS passing...until the Camaro got stupid. Tailgating, flashing lights, etc. Outward displays of impatience by other drivers doesn't make my right foot any heavier either. If anything, I slow down to provide additional space in front of me to give extra time to slow down if anything happens in front of me without as much likelihood for the idiot behind me to eat my back bumper.

We don't know how fast these vehicles were traveling, or what the speed limit is. If the vehicles in the left lane were at or exceeding the posted speed limit, and they were easing around right lane traffic running slightly slower, WHO CARES? I'm not going to increase my speed to accommodate an idiot who isn't going to pay the fine if I get a ticket, and if he wants me to slow down and fall in behind the vehicle I'm passing to allow him to pass me, he's just as capable of slowing down and following me as I pass that slower vehicle. When I have completed my pass and I'm beyond the slower traffic I was passing, I'll move over. Until then, be patient.

Patience is a rare trait these days it seems...and that's a shame. The world would be a much better place if people would just learn to be patient.

Grouch, not4hire and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. Wokman

Wokman Bobtail Member

May 6, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    Camaro: Unsafe lane change (multiple times), following too closely, occupying the same lane as another vehicle, attempting to pass on the right, DUI.
    Pickup: Impeding traffic? In many places, only if he was under the speed limit.

The important thing to me is that what the pickup driver did only resulted in an accident because the Camaro driver was a bad driver that shouldn't have a license and shouldn't be on the road. If the Camaro driver were driving safely, there would have been no accident at all.

Rather than allowing impatient drivers to play bumper tag, how about making it legal to run idiots like the Camaro driver into the ditch before they cause more serious accidents? I'd vote for that.

tsavory Thanks this.
  6. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    If you watch the pace of the dotted lines you can clearly see the pickup slow to the pace of the right lane....blatently impeading everyone, inclucing Mr. Dashcam, from passing. It even looks as though the truck in the right lane backs out a little, and the pickup matches speed. I know 2 wrongs don't make it right, but had he just passed the truck and moved right, he and the big truck would still be in one piece and the Camero driver would have been down the road, or into a tree or ditch....but instead he had to be a jerk, and now all 3 vehicles are trashed.

7. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    Or gone down the road causing I bigger wreck that kills a family or a bus load of kids. There truly is no safe way to deal with impaired or distracted drivers!

8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I have to comment on this.

I dont agree with you.

The US has the worst driver etiquette and drivers in general compared to Europe. Unless you have driven in UK, Germany, Poland, France, Italy,.. the interstate and traffic etiquette that drivers give each other over there is like the difference between eating at a ghetto McDonalds (The US) or a gentleman's 5 star restaurant (Europe).

Over here in the US when 2 lanes are about to go down to 1 lane and there is either an arrow board up (Construction zone) or your just losing a lane,.. say the left lane ends,.. people here will travel to the bitter end and those in the merge lane refuse to let people over. They will tale gate the person in front of them and place blame on the person who failed to merge 1 mile back. In Europe, merge areas flow at speed and happen harmoniously because drivers leave space and take turns at speed when the merge convenes. No one is blocking anyone from either lane,.. there is little traffic back up at merge points.

Its the same when someone is travelling in the hammer lane (The laft lane). Here in the US people will purposely block faster drivers or worse,.. not even know someone behind them wants to pass and often force you to pass on the right instead of giving up lane ownership to someone who wants to pass. In Europe they flash you from behind,.. and I do find that annoying,.. but thats their proper etiquette for get out of my way,.. and as a slower driver,.. you should yield to faster traffic. They will move right and allow the pass.

I have seen idiot drivers over there,.. but for the most part,.. Europe makes the US look like a bunch of hood rats sizing each other up for lane ownership,.. kinda like a drug king pin trying to keep his turf.

So I have to disagree. Yes the Camaro driver was driving aggressively, but its not the pick up drivers duty to police and control how other people drive. Just let the A-hole guy pass and mind your own business. Instead the pick up used the semi truck to block in the Camaro. Personally,.. they both got what they deserved. In reality the whole thing could have been avoided by just letting the prick pass. Knowing the end result,... was it worth it?

Hurst

9. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    How could someone know he was impaired instead of just driving under the influence of testosterone? I see dozens of idiots racing up the right lane and cutting in every week...if I called 911 every time that happened I would have to have a 2nd phone line for regular calls. The pickup driver should be charged for inciting road rage, and if I were the innocent truck driver that was involved, both would be sued until they couldn't make change for a bubble gum machine.

cowboy_tech Thanks this.
  10. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    And you don't think the car almost running the Pickup off the road did not incite road rage?
    If read my post where I took it fault by fault I agree the Pickup was wrong I just think the car was the most wrong and caused the road rage by the Pickup which caused road rage by the car.
    And intoxicated, distracted, or just impatient one would not know but all can become deadly.
    So NO at the time they could not be sure but we know now and that pickup may/may not have saved a family's life. Even if it was wrong to act that way. Either way we will never know how it would have ended if things would have been different.

And trust me I know I have hours of videos from people racing up the right side and worse. Takes three or four bad moves in a short period before the phone is dialed.

So I am not disagreeing the Pickup and car where wrong just which one was the biggest cause.

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  11. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    actually, with your phone And data plan, I doubt you'd need a new phone line...,,,,

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.