Can a new Husband/Wife Team make any $ in Trucking?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Blue Screen, Jan 31, 2010.

1. dieselUSMC

dieselUSMC Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2010
    NC
    All good info!! My wife and I are looking into the O/O team OTR after I get in the door and some miles under my foot. Anyone have any idea about husband and wife team O/O? Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Medium Load Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Poquoson, VA
    dieselUSMC,
    First thank you for your service to your Country,

Secondly Yes there are Husband and Wife Teams, both company and O/O who have made it and are very successful at it.
    There are several companies that Run TEAM's only.
    If you and the Wife decide to buy a truck think about a few things first, you are both young, and do you want to be strapped to a Truck all the time.
    I have several threads I have started about Young drivers and buying trucks, etc.

It can be done, it takes a lot of work and commitment. I would suggest you get on the road, then her and team for a company as Company drivers, after a year if it is working well for you and you have the financial means to buy a truck, do so. But first look at companies who take on O/O teams, also talk to some of the drivers about how they are doing, how they like the company nothing compares to a face to face talk with a driver. Also keep in mind, there are many companies that do lease's but If you have the means to buy from an outside source that is ALWAYS the way to go, if you do not like the company it is YOUR truck and you can go elsewhere.
    One company who hires O/O teams is FED EX, yep they use teams to do a lot of hauling, I am not sure about the money or any of that, but you never see anyone complaining either. There is an elite Hauler out there that hauls Jet Engines for the commercial aircraft industry called Southern Pride, they might be worth checking out. Again talk to some of the drivers on the Road, you can not miss a Southern Pride Truck most are Large Cars with a small apartment on the Back, huge Custom Sleepers, Kitchens bathrooms the whole nine yards expensive as all get out too.

Gatorgrl, SheepDog and dieselUSMC Thank this.
  4. dieselUSMC

dieselUSMC Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2010
    NC
    Thanks doc! I will look up your other posts as well for more learnin'!

5. Wyldfyur

Wyldfyur Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Lewiston, ID
    Hey Nana and everyone love your posts, have read many in the Swift forum.
    2 questions
    Do you keep the same tractor or are you having to change often?
    I noticed the time line from your husbands training to yours and I am being told it is 90 days from my husbands higher date before I can go to school without paying, what are your thoughts?

6. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    Hello everyone,,,been to Iraq for the 2nd time and just got back on the road,,,
    God one question that I believe I already know the answer to....Is there any company out there that allows Team operators to pick there own loads? Can a team use Load Boards?
    Thanks,,,

Gatorgrl Thanks this.
  7. navyvet1994

navyvet1994 Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Old Orchard Beach, ME
    My wife and I are looking to get started as a team. I'm retired Navy, she work for the state of NY. by company standards we are out of Maine though I'm from all over. Can we use someone other relatives addy for jobs. FFE will hire Massachusetts but not Maine. It is weird. We can leave our car in MASS and still be out of Maine.

8. Hubcap

Hubcap Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Rhome Texas
    I think it helps to have a little practical knowledge going in. I grew up in a family of truckers and had a pretty good idea of what I was doing going in. I think sharing a truck as a husband and wife team is going to take a couple that actually likes being together. I for one have picked my entire family up, put them in a truck and hit the road for weeks. But, that was a lifetime ago.

It is the commitment that counts. If a person is willing to learn from those who have been there and have survived the mistakes, it will be a benefit long term. You have to pay the truck first! Always have enough money to rebuild it! And remember it is not a hobby. All the chrome in the world is never going to improve an 85 cent a mile haul.

Docs got some wisdom, listen to him.

9. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Gatorgrl Thanks this.
  10. itsneversafe

itsneversafe Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Victoria BC
    WTF man this thread is 2 years old why did you reply to it?

11. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Because I didn't notice it was that old.... WTF.... Ok, so disregard whatever I said... :biggrin_25526:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.