Can someone explain to me how expediting with a straight truck is profitable?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by DC843, May 21, 2016.

1. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    hey I have been thinking lately about getting into expediting with a class 8 truck with a sleeper. Most likely will run it as a team operation, leased to a O/O carrier.

I really like the idea of OTR as a straight truck, less worry about finding parking, turns in the city would be less stressful etc.

I am just having a hard time wrapping my head around how expediters get loads....I mean I know theres going to be SOME loads that are just small enough to go on a straight truck, but seems rare.

The whole point of expediting seems to me is that its for when things need to get there quickly, but with 53' TT's out there that are just as capable of keeping the same time frame as an straight truck, it seems to me that that's what most places would want to do, even if whatever it is needs to get there quick, wouldn't it be worth it for those places logistic wise to take an extra half hour to ship a whole trailer load vs just giving a box truck the bare minimum of what would be needed?

Realistically is there enough work for straight trucks, assuming its team operated with the sleeper, out there in the sea of tractor trailers double the size?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Hey . Yes there is enough loads but do your research . When I expedited in straight truck , many times only one pallet was loaded . Reason straight truck rather than a cargo van is because straight trucks are dock high . Expediting is very demanding because you never know when the next load is coming . Suggest you check out expeditorsonline.com . Site devoted to expediting .

rachi Thanks this.
  4. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    thanks ive been checking that website out, did you do it as a team?

5. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
  6. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    There are full truckload expediters, but that is rare. Most places that use expediters don't normally ship full truckload anyway, they use ltl carriers such as YRC, ABF, etc and they use expediters when they need it there faster than their normal carrier can get it. A lot of stuff on expedite trucks are custom pieces or requires special handling, not what you want your average otr guy to do. I have a few friends in expedite, be prepared to sit a lot, and it is much harder to make money and meet deadlines as a solo driver, be prepared to go at any minute as time is of the essence, and keep the left door shut and right foot down, they have very tight time schedules. Basically, once you let dispatch know you are available to accept loads you will be on call, waiting by your phone and ready to drive, most companies require you to be underway within 30 minutes of their dispatch call, no time to say "but I haven't slept all day" or any of that other b.s.
    They make money because they charge a premium for fast and competent service, it is well worth it to some companies to pay what a full truckload would cost for just one pallet if it will save their relationship with their customer, plus it is a lot cheaper running a single axle straight truck compared with a 5 axle tractor trailer combo.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Finding parking is the same as a tractor/trailer.

Turns in the city can be harder because everything behind the sleeper doesn't move so sometimes you want that pivot point.

8. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    You can park at an any parking lot though and nobody would kick you out

9. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    I've seen them kicked out. "No Trucks" means no trucks.

10. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    well yeah a place that says no trucks, I meant it more as you can fit the truck in a lot of parking situations that would be questionable at best with a 53'.

and yeah I get what you're saying about the pivot point, but I mean most straight trucks even with sleeper is still shorter than a 53' trailer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.