Can someone explain to me the failing heath issues of truckers

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Aarrons, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Aarrons

Aarrons Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    I have read about the term FAILING HEALTH , but don't know if its something preventable or it something that comes with the job like it or not,

Take in account a normal weight truck driver with no vices and that doesn't over indulge in junk food.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. oldtrucker66

oldtrucker66 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Exactly what have you read? Where did you read it? Post a link, copy and paste something, etc.

4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Been to walmart lately?
    It's not just drivers.

dog-c, 201 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  5. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Drivers dont get to dr appoinments like the rest of the population.

dog-c and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  6. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    FMCSA is worse on your heart then a Big Mac these days.

7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi Aarrons, I hear your concern. For years, truck drivers had very poor health. Things have changed dramatically. While it's still a sedentary job, mandatory medical exams catch a lot now ( years ago, nobody ever went to the doctor to drive a truck), smoking awareness and drug testing helped clean things up too and food has gotten a little better ( that last one is a little iffy) I usually unloaded my own trailer ( never once got a lumper in 35 years) so got some exercise, and usually brought my own food, so that helped. As far as failing health, we all, no matter what you do, face that every day. You'll be fine.

8. WitchyWomen

WitchyWomen Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Buckeye, AZ
    Because every truck stop has a Vegan gluten free restraunt, a gym, and plenty of healthy options in the cold cases. Even with a fridge and being able to have some better choices brought along from a home grocery store. It's hard to find fruits, veggies, good quality juices etc. You can count calories and not get fat but your still very hindered in getting non chemical laden food.

It's also a 10-16 hour day of sedentary driving even getting in some walking on purpose, your other options are very limited no weights, Crossfit, when you don't even have a sidewalk to walk on in lots of truck stop middle of nowhere places. Yoga might help your next issue.

Stress. an hour or two in traffic can drive you crazy but dealing with us fourwheelers with more weight a bigger vehical and more rules can have you screaming for hours, with no comfort of home, or a sympathetic ear or warm body. When you want to sleep but the idling noise is driving you crazy you want to go inside but somebodies poured out their piss bottle outside your door.

Yes most of your average people deal with these issues but it's harder for an OTR guy.

9. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    I think it's stress related, all that hurry up and wait.

10. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    When thinking about a truck driver's health, consider our environment as well. We ride and vibrate all day in a sitting position up and down the hands down worst roads it has been my displeasure to deal with in close to twenty years of driving, we operate in generally industrial areas (home of much higher pollution levels than average), we operate under higher stress levels than the average American thanks to delivery schedules and Hours of Service regulations, and we are forced by our profession to maintain a much, much higher level of focus for much, much longer periods of time than any American short of an active duty soldier/sailor in a war zone.

All.of this leads to more health problems, like circulatory issues and stress-related disease than other Americans will normally deal with. Add in the fact that we can't just call off for a doctor's appointment whenever we feel like, and yes, you get failing health. The human body, no matter how physically fit it may be, can only take so much punishment. And brother, we pound our bodies to the extreme in the course of our careers.

11. Aarrons

Aarrons Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Hello do you or drivers out there drive more than 11 hours a day? can I count on one full hour of daily excessive?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.