Can These Rates Off The Boards Get N E Cheaper ?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by freight-time, Feb 3, 2016.

1. freight-time

freight-time Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Man, what's going on ? We run dry vans,and run off of the board.Is it time to switch our equipment, and what would you suggest the switch should be?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ramblingman

ramblingman Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2014
    The only time you should live off of load boards is when their is significantly fewer truck than loads. Any other time you need direct freight to thrive. Even if you have to give a cut to a company to run their lanes your still likely to do better.

4. freight-time

freight-time Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Can you give me some advise on how to locate some shippers?I use Google, and Thomas Net,but I haven't been able to land a lane.

5. coffee mug

coffee mug Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2016
    TruckersU.com

freight-time Thanks this.
  6. ramblingman

ramblingman Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Call places around the house that you know to start. Within 50 miles of my house their is a steel plant. Several hay operations. A grocery warehousing outfit. Several agriculture equipment manufacturers and more. Theirs more work than I have time for.

Bigdaddy00, areelius and freight-time Thank this.
  7. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    All equipment types pay pathetically on the load boards. I get calls for over dimensional loads that pay worse then daily flat bed loads, it's crazy.

Even direct shippers have stopped calling because there is always some schmuck to run these loads for nothing.

freight-time Thanks this.
  8. Flipflops

Flipflops Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
  9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    In my hometown today Shaw Industries announced the closure of a plant that had been in operation since 1973. They're consolidating what was done there at plants in Calhoun and Dalton, GA. 228 people out of work and about 82 will be offered the option to relocate to Shaw plants in other areas. Those were good jobs for the community. Probably will be reading lots of stories like these in the coming months.

And you know something @Flipflops. I have noticed when we go get groceries that the shelves do in fact always seem to be sparse and even bare at times. I told my old lady one time it reminded me of pictures of the old Soviet Union but really didn't think much of it. That article makes sense. I'm not sure I agree there is a conspiracy to keep them bare so ordinary people can't stock up on necessities but it would make sense trying to keep inventory levels as low as possible to keep costs down. Heaven only knows if they need to rush order trucks to cover any kind of real demand they won't have any problem finding them.

Terry270, fordconvert and Flipflops Thank this.
  10. Flipflops

Flipflops Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    With so much competition it's hard to run out of stock, that's my opinion. A lot of foods probably expire before they can even be sold. I've also noticed a lot more reefer guys are hauling drying freight now a days too. Last time I hauled any "food" was hauling eggs which was 2 months ago.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.