Can this be??

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by oshawasue, Jul 27, 2015.

1. oshawasue

oshawasue Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Canada
    Hello! Hubby just made the leap to be an owner/operator...and he started working at a new company, to boot...
    He was able to pull 2 loads before his new (used) truck broke down, and had to have it fixed.... Meanwhile, the company graciously allowed him to use their company truck, so that he could keep working.
    He got his truck back...and in total, he's done a few runs in the company trucks, and quite a few runs in his own truck.
    In the 6 weeks he's been there...He's only received less than $500 pay!
    He asked to see some paperwork on how he's getting paid...and they showed him that he got big deductions for fuel. I only wonder if they charged him the gas for the COMPANY trucks as well (maybe by mistake?)...
    Because I cannot FATHOM a man doing MULTIPLE, multiple runs, and making below poverty wages!
    They were all long-haul too, from Canada to mid-USA.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. marineman227

marineman227 Dock Waterer

Jan 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Without knowing or seeing numbers or his agreement sounds like he's not making much but if he's an owner op I would certainly expect to pay fuel still while borrowing one of their trucks unless they cut him back to company driver wages while in their truck. Company did you a pretty big favor letting you use one of their trucks while yours was down.

4. 34kw

34kw Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Montana
    It doesn't sound to me like they did him much of a favor. Always ALWAYS find out what it pays FIRST. If they won't tell you, there's a reason. If you don't feel comfortable asking, you better move along.

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  5. marineman227

marineman227 Dock Waterer

Jan 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I missed the 6 weeks part. So he's averaging less than $100 a week and it took a month and a half to start looking into it

DUNE-T and Nitemare13 Thank this.
  6. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Well, he should not have leased in the first place. That kind of pay is the norm. Quit and go be a company driver.

7. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Something not right.

How do you put your own truck to work for a carrier and not know how much the truck is being paid?

There has to have been a lease agreement that stipulated the conditions and terms under which he should be paid. That and each load should have been provided with a rate sheet and break down of what it paid and the conditions under which it was to be delivered.

Is this your truck or a company truck on a fleece deal? I can see a lease purchase going the route your posting about. Companies like to sell that as being an owner operator, in my personal opinion,.. its really not.

I honestly dont mean to mock or sound insulting,.. but sounds to me like you guys should have done some homework and research before naively signing up for something you guys dont understand.

Hurst

brian991219 Thanks this.
  8. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    everyone said it all.
    plus they probably charged him rental fee for the truck they let him borrow.

people think Im an a hole when I start talking about money on a job. but I am very straight and direct about it.
    What does it pay exactly?
    Can you show me rates?
    Can I get what your telling me in writing?
    Before my truck hooks to anything, I want to know what it pays, IN WRITING!
    All deductions must be made with an explanation and an billing invoice.
    If not I am gone.
    Im a business. If we cant come to terms then we dont do business. I didnt buy my truck to make someone elses business make money while I drive and fix my truck.
    I will burn it before I do that.

Cetane+ and brian991219 Thank this.
  9. oshawasue

oshawasue Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Canada
    We actually BOTH looked at the deal, and the pay before he got hired...It's his own personal truck he bought used,and then signed on to this new company...It sounded like a good deal, $1.29 per mile, which is about triple what he'd get paid here as a company driver.

10. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    with out seeing this deal on paper and seeing your statements, miles worked, loads worked etc, NO ONE will be able to answer your questions...

11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    $1.29 is cheap.

You guys have bitten off more than you can chew. If he figures out how much it costs to run the truck, he will realize that you took a pay cut from a company driver. You say that $1.29/mile is 3x what he made as a company driver, I doubt that. 1.29/3=.43.

$.43/mile is decent wage. $.43x2500=$1075/week OR 10x what your husband brings home. They should be sending some sort of settlement sheet to the house. R E A L L Y would like to see a settlement sheet.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.