Can you get your CDL in a state you don't have residence in?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DC843, Oct 13, 2015.

1. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    just wondering.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    No

The way training companies do it - You have to declare residence in the new state, get your cdl, "move" back to your home state, surrender your CDL in home state, hoping that it will transfer over

4. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    No,you have to reside in the state you get your cdl. Most states allow transfer of cdl to another when you move. There are exceptions. Illinois, for example,requires full cdl test there and does not allow transfers.

5. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Oh okay that make sense. Do you know what's involved in declaring residency? You don't have to like rent a place or anything do you?

6. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Most require some kind of proof of residency, like utility bills in your name. Also it's generally a 6 month period.

7. ipogsd

ipogsd Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    HLS/TSA crack ed d down on schools doing the address thing a year or two ago. I think many now require you to have a CDL permit, then after school go home to test.
    2 forms of proof of perminent residence are now required.
    Voters card, lease/deed, vehicle title, military ID, utility bill, can remember the sixth?

8. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Is there a reason you can't get it in your home state? SO you have a license already? If so, you're covered. Just take the test and convert to a CDL.

9. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Ah okay next question then, are you able to rent a truck to take the cdl test then? How would this work would I need to hire a cdl driver to take it out or anything like that?

I am just finishing school with a manual and am just trying to get a plan going if I can't pass with the manual in 3 try's. I don't think I'll have trouble just last case thing. I only plan on driving automatics so a stamp on my license is fine.

10. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    South Carolina btw

11. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    There are probably several companies that would rent you a truck to test in. But if you're in school. they should have a truck for you to test with, being that you will probably test out in a truck you have driven and are comfortable with.
    To answer most of these questions you should call you states DMV. They can; point you in the best direction, and maybe give you pointers on what to expect when you test out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.