Can you guys help out a newbie?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Corroded-arteries, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Corroded-arteries

Corroded-arteries Bobtail Member

May 28, 2015
    Okay guys I really value your opinion on what you would think about my chances of landing a job, preferably a local job (my school told me that local jobs are starting to open up for CDL school graduates??). I'm trying to see if these attributes will give companies second thoughts about me, they're not going to be the highlights of the interview...

-1 year and 8 months ago, i got 1 speeding ticket for going 15 over, and another speeding ticket for going 86 in a 55... hey, my girlfriend had to pee!

-not much work experience so far in my life, i'm 24 years old, but about 9 months worth in the past 3 years. before the past three years i was in college and i graduated high school in '09 (yea, i'm a college drop out).

-a "charge" but not "conviction" of a possession of marijuana in a motor vehicle about 2 and 1/2 years ago.(i no longer do any drugs and could easily pass a drug test, hell i don't even like smoking cigarettes anymore!)

I have not had any tickets or anything since the two speeding tickets

real talk, thanks in advance guys.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'll be honest those speeding tickets won't look too good on your record.

Vilhiem and HorseShoe Thank this.
  4. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    but his girlfriend really had to pee

I think the companies should over look natures calling.

Rick Brown and Blackshack46 Thank this.
  5. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Where do you live? Your chances are slim.

6. Chewy352

Chewy352 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Enid, OK
    Wait till you're married. I tell the wife to pee her pants cause my cdl is too valuable. Besides it might be a turn on.;)

Rick Brown, HorseShoe and AModelCat Thank this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    "The Dreams of Youth are the Regrets of Maturity"~Darkness
    Take the drug charge out of the equation and what do you have? Honest talk, everything else screams irresponsible. If you came to me asking for a job, any job, I would turn you down. Why? Because you have a history of being irresponsible.

But Six, we were all irresponsible at one point in our lives. Cut him some slack.

Your right. I was irresponsible until I had to start working at age 10, when my old man woke up one day and decided that he wanted to be a bachelor. But I would rather see someone try to work than try to steal or be a bum, but definitely not a driving job. Too much responsibility for someone who never had to be responsible. Maybe start in a warehouse or the docks or something, and work your way up. You will be doing a job that a 16 yr old would be doing. dock work and warehouse work isn't easy at all, but it's honest work, so you could still hold your head up.

Get some work history, and your resume would look worlds better.

HorseShoe Thanks this.
  8. Cody1984

Cody1984 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    PA
    Honestly I'm shocked you can get a cdl since in most states if you get 2 tickets going over 15 mph in a 3 year period your cdl gets suspended for 60 days. At least it's like that in Pennsylvania. That's ignoring your possession charge which is not going to ever do you any favors in this industry. Honestly unless a place is really really hurting for drivers don't expect them to hire you.

9. bandit74

bandit74 Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Get some experince, keep a clean driving record......haul mail

10. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    I got vids of that sort of thing, you're right..>!!

11. GenericUserName

GenericUserName Road Train Member

May 17, 2014
    Santa Monica, CA
    sure you can be a trucker. Compared to the riff raff ive seen out on the road you are a model candidate. Im serious about that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.