Canadian equivalent to DOT number/MC NUmber

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by RandomChick, Apr 30, 2014.

1. RandomChick

RandomChick Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Hi Guys,

I had a quick question. In the US we have US DOT numbers and MC Numbers. For canadian drivers that stay in Canada, is there a Canadian DOT number or MC number? I guess, is there a unique identifier for your MC number? Please let me know.

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Our system isn't quite so unified as we don't have an active single federal regulator like the FMCSA. We do have federal regulations put out by Transport Canada, such as the Motor Carrier Safety Fitness Certificate Act, and other associated acts and regulations, most of which is referred to as the National Safety Code (NSC), but they are administered / enforced by the provinces. There is a group called the Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators (CCMTA) which "oversees" the NSC, but it is a non-profit comprised of provincial and federal transport administrators and is not a true government body or regulator. Having said that, every province has more-or-less the same thing, just with different names in some and every carrier will have an NSC Number. In Alberta (and other provinces, but not sure which) we have a Safety Fitness Certificate with the operating status noted as either Provincial (intra-provincial), or Federal (inter-provincial). Ontario's is called a Commercial Vehicle Operator's Registration (CVOR), and so on.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    googieburger and j_martell Thank this.
  4. Bikerboy

Bikerboy Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Canada
    If we stay in ontario we don't need any numbers on the outside of the the truck other then company name and licence plates

5. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    This is uniform throughout Canada as no jurisdiction requires any numbering, be it NSC, CVOR, etc., on the exterior of the truck as is required in the U.S. with the DOT and MC numbers, regardless of whether the carrier is intra-, or inter-provincial..

6. Jesenia

Jesenia Bobtail Member

May 12, 2015
    Hi so do all provinces require that safety fitness certificate in order for us to start hauling into Canada?

7. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    ........ and the award for reviving an old thread goes tooooo .........................

I might be a bit off here, but I think if you are registered IRP, you can run any province or state that's listed on the cab card. I think the fitness certificates and such are more geared towards corporate and carrier profiles, are they not ? Anyone ? Anyone ? Bueller ? Bueller ?

What are you hauling, and from where to where ?

8. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    You have to setup a "home province" - the closest one to you. Example you are based in Detroit Michigan your home province is Ontario. Ontario requires cvor certificate. If you are out west its a national safety code certificate. Out east I don't know. As long as you have one of these certificates and are in compliance with your home province you have authority for all of Canada. Just make sure the provinces you will be in are on your cab card if you have not been renewed into the frp revamp of irp.

9. 2Girls_1Truck

2Girls_1Truck Medium Load Member

May 18, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    We are registered, do business from and plate our equipment in Nova Scotia and we have a National Safety Code # on our vehicle registration cab cards.

I was once prompted in Quebec at the scale in Longueil to produce this number so he could run out company info and make sure we were registered in Quebec, aside from having apportioned plate for Quebec.

That could be because we were incorporated provincially and not federally and I believe there is a registration component for businesses that operate within Quebec that are not federally incorporated.

10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    On yeah forgot about that. Quebec you need a nir number. I think it's authority to be in Quebec or something. Need it in addition to cvor or nsc certificate. Just another tax to pay to do business there. I tried to update it on my own, its due every November I think, could not find any websites with English instructions. I pay a permit company to do it for me.

11. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Quebec: Owners and operators of heavy vehicles

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.