Canadian otr home time

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by yogi90, Sep 9, 2015.

1. yogi90

yogi90 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2015
    So its not like most jobs where you wait for vacation time? I realize its not paid like vacation

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    The PA runs you should be able to relatively quickly work your way into. Most people look at it and say yuck back and forth only like 400 miles each way. I always liked those kinds of runs, nice and easy and can turn them fast. Everyone wants the same, easy, 600 mile a day run. We can't all have it all.

yogi90 Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Canadians run on beer so we need weekends off to refuel since we can't technically drink beer while on the road :)

belowspeedlimit and yogi90 Thank this.
  5. yogi90

yogi90 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Thats right lol
    Thats why i need them off haha

6. yogi90

yogi90 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Would you guys consider it a good career? Do you enjoy what you do?

7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I still enjoy driving. But I do not like the seemingly never ending regulation, I feel like the the lawmakers are trying to fix problems that do not exist. Trucking can be a great career, it really is what you make of it.

yogi90 Thanks this.
  8. terryg247

terryg247 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Every company has different options. The company I work for has a number of drivers, who live in the area of GTO who are out Monday to Saturday morning, home for 36 then back on the road again. Others do two weeks out home for two days the first time than two more weeks than home for three days. I live five hours North of GTO so I am out for three weeks then home for a week. Obviously if you are OTR the longer you are out the more miles you get as dispatch does not have to worry about getting you home each week plus when you are out longer than a week the longer trips are given to those who are out longer.

9. yogi90

yogi90 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2015
    There only home 36hr? Is that by choice or are they forced out?

10. yogi90

yogi90 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Idk if thats a lifestyle for me. Is there many places where u get 2 days off after a week or even home more time then that?

11. terryg247

terryg247 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    That is the standard through most companies. Sometimes they get back Friday and have a bit extra at home or some say longer on the Monday. The thing to remember is you need to work so many days per quarter in order to achieve your bonus

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.