Canadian Owner Operator going Independent

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by haider99, Oct 5, 2015.

1. haider99

haider99 Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Hello everyone,

My name is Ali, I have been lurking on this forum for few years now, and I posted a couple times. Did good amount of research and read a lot. My dad has been in trucking business for over 8 years. As of now, he has 5 trucks running mostly to Quebec and one south of border to North Carolina. Also, I have decent amount of knowledge of this business, but I don't drive.

Long story short, we have been wanting to cut the carrier we are working for and go independent. I will be doing a dispatch course very soon and hopefully we will be using loadboard (transcore). If any one has ever used transcore, please share your experience.

On the other hards is getting load directly from shippers a good idea? If it is, what is the best way to get them? With 5 trucks (no trailers for now) is it a good idea to knock on firms door and introduce our services and get freight, or is that a bad idea? How would a person approach someone in a firm and what kind of dialogues should be used?

Thank you for reading. :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. haider99

haider99 Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    101 views and 0 replies </3

4. FinkPloyd

FinkPloyd Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2015
    I dont Know Near enough yet to be of any Real assistance in this aspect, but I will bump it for you. ;)

Would it not be nigh impossible to independently Run 5 trucks with no Trailers of your own?

5. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    You don't have any trailers? I guess you could pull authority and use a dispatch service with wagons built into a percentage rate.

Do you guys do Van Reefer Flat? Lots of cross border?

6. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Direct freight would be the best. Anytime there is a middle man, there is a cut. Getting the business is harder than buying the truck. Anybody can buy a truck as I have aptly demonstrated. The trucking industry is full of guys that bought trucks and said now what???

Nothereoften and Straight Stacks Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.