Car hauling on the weekends

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by circle7auto, Sep 25, 2016.

1. circle7auto

circle7auto Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Hello everyone, I am currently serving in the united states ARMY. I am looking to make some money on the weekends hauling cars using the standard 1-ton truck and a 3 car wedge. I've been compiling my information
    and I'm running into a dead end when it comes to the ability to deliver cars on the weekends. Since this will be the main time I will be operating this business, it is a pretty important thing to know, I am asking if anyone can let me know what their experiences have been delivering cars on the weekends especially on Sundays. thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Have no experience DELIVERING cars to dealers on Sunday...but plenty experience SHOPPING for cars on Sunday.
    The reason I shop for them on Sunday is because they are all closed and I don't have to worry about a salesman hassling me.
    Not sure if you can set up an appointment to deliver on Sunday...but I've never once seen anyone around.

KANSAS TRANSIT and Mack.Army Thank this.
  4. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    It's hard enough to make it in this business but for some reason you think you can make it work part time and on your schedule? That's funny

5. carhaulerjeff

carhaulerjeff Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2016
    some dealers are open on Sunday's but most won't check a car in so if they let u sti one you can deliver

circle7auto Thanks this.
  6. Viceroy1

Viceroy1 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2016
    You won't be able to make enough money to cover your insurance for the truck & trailer, fuel, your time, maintenance & paying expenses just running on the weekends.

Maybe better to find a weekend part time job as a tow truck driver.

7. Erod2018

Erod2018 Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2017
    I'm curious . did this workout for you if so let us know I was thinking of the same thing

8. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    If you STI as an O/O with dealerships you are not familiar with I would imagine you would go under in claims! I mean there are alot of unscrupulous dealers that since everyone shops for cars on the internet the profit margin is not as big so they're always looking for other sources of income! Just my $.02

9. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I was thinking of being a part time surgeon on weekends and maybe some nights if I got done trucking early enough.
    Anybody know if there is any money in this?
    If so how much can I make?
    Do I have to have my own instruments or do I just use the hospital's and wash them up and return them when I'm done?
    I'm new to surgery so anybody who is doing this already your opinion whould be greatly appreciated .

10. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    I was thinking the same thing!! Let me know if it works out for you. I googled how to perform surgery...looks like a breeze!

tech10171968, Hulld and VTech Thank this.
  11. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    NO. NO, NO, HELL NO.

This thing about a 1-ton dualie pulling a rickety 3-car wedge has got to stop. NOW. Yes, I know it seems to be the "standard" configuration for small independents, but it was/is/will always be WRONG. Those dualies can indeed pull loads like that but were never meant to pull that much weight on a continual basis. Inside of two years you will have nearly destroyed that dualie because it's basically a pickup trying to do a semi's job. There's also the fact that you'll probably go through brakes like toilet paper trying to hold back loads like that on a continual basis.

If you're going to use a pickup truck to do the job of a semi then at least upgrade to a F-550/Ram 5500 or similar. Those pickups are probably the only power units in this class that can actually handle the job without eventually tearing themselves apart.

I'm not trying to discourage you; I feel it's nobody's place to do that. It's just that, when it comes to independent hauling, a lot of would-be owner/operators absolutely screw themselves over from square one by choosing the wrong doggone equipment from the word "go", especially in car-hauling. Take a look at a lot of those guys using the 1-tons; a lot of them won't be in business for more than a couple of years before they end up having to get rid of those units because they mechanically thrashed them.

Also, did you know that DOT CAN and WILL ticket you for excceeding the axle rating on your dualie? Think about that the next time you want to haul 12,000 lbs of vehicles with a Chevy 3500.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.